Need help!

• Hi all, SQL is a new topic for me. What is the difference between DELETE and TRUNCATE statements?

• Normally you use the DELETE statement. You don't say which SQL product you are using and I guess the TRUNCATE statement works differently in different products. But I would expect that it deletes all rows in a table. In Microsoft SQL Server (which is the RDBMS I work with), TRUNCATE TABLE is a more efficient operation compared to deleting all rows with DELETE, because a lot less is written to the transaction log. On the other hand, you cannot use TRUNCATE TABLE is there are referencing foreign keys. Also, you need heftier permissions to use TRUNCATE TABLE than for DELETE.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• In addition to Erland's comments - delete can be used to remove specific rows where truncate is all or nothing.  There are additional side-effects to be aware of with truncate vs delete (in SQL Server) - for example, if you have an identity column on the table then truncate reseeds the identity and delete does not.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you for your answers. I will try it.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply