Need Help!

• Hi,

I'm very new to this program and have question...In which or what type of scenario I need to built Store Procedure with output parameters in real life job field? And also how much of knowledge am I require to have to start an entry level job in SQL field.

Any and every little information will help to get started!!! Please Help.

• Let's start with the easy question first, output parameters. I've only used these in actual business work when I had the, very rare, circumstance that I was only returning a single value, not a row or set of rows, but one single value. Then, output parameters are actually just a little faster than a regular result set. However, coding them in the proc is a little bit of a pain, and consuming them in the client is a bigger pain, so you really have to need that extra millisecond or two before you go through with this.

Minimum required knowledge to start?

Woof, I'm not sure there's a good answer here. I've been doing this work for 30+ years now. I started out in databases with literally zero knowledge. Someone offered me work in Paradox on Friday afternoon. I said yes. I bought a book and read a healthy chunk of it over the weekend. Monday morning, I was the database expert in the organization. So, zero is a viable answer. However, it's not realistic.

To give you a slightly better answer I have to tell you that there are a lot of different types of jobs working with SQL Server databases. You could be any of database administrator, database developer, application developer, report writer, data analyst, data scientist, or a bunch of others. Further, these bleed all over each other in terms of knowledge and skills and responsibilities, depending on the organization and it's maturity with data management. To understand the job of working with SQL Server, I always recommend Craig Mullins book, Database Administration. It really focuses down on the job, as a job, and talks about the necessary knowledge in a technology agnostic way. While the book is a little old, the concepts are excellent. I'd read that. It's going to give you a better and more complete guide than any answers in a forum here.

Also, look to the Stairways series we have here at SSC. They'll help too. Finally, come back here with questions. We love to help.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Stairway Series: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairways

What Grant said, and practice different skills, see what you like and have an aptitude for. Ask lots of questions, what people do in their jobs, what their challenges are, what things are required.

Level of knowledge will vary dramatically. That's more a question for people hiring a junior DBA.

• ns550 wrote:

Hi, I'm very new to this program and have question...In which or what type of scenario I need to built Store Procedure with output parameters in real life job field? And also how much of knowledge am I require to have to start an entry level job in SQL field. Any and every little information will help to get started!!! Please Help.  

Ok... so what are you doing to train yourself and have you actually downloaded and installed the FREE Developer's Edition of SQL, SSMS, and "Books Online"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Jeff,

I use Youtube Channel to learn all skills and have started to prepare for interviews, but my only fear is applying for job and not passing my interview.

• Hi Grant,

Do I really need to have any kind of certificate to apply for an entry level job? And also I graduated high school and have some college experience, I have been working in retail business and assembler for my whole life, my question 'How should my entry level resume look to get me started?

• Applying for jobs the trick is to get past the HR department. You do this one of two ways. First, you meet all their requirements, which may include certifications. Second, you network your way into the IT department. Neither approach is easy. From the sounds of things, you're going to have a very hard time with the first approach because you don't have a track record or certifications. This leaves the second approach.

For that, you'd best be attending your local user group/pass chapter/meetup/whatever to be introducing yourself to all the local IT talent. Attend the local SQLSaturday event (if any). Get out there and talk to people, introduce yourself, ask intelligent & informed questions (start with your first one above). Let them know you and your enthusiasm and tell them you're looking for work. It's not a guarantee, but that's my advice for an approach. Otherwise, you have to do things to build your resume so that it will get by HR. That means certifications since you don't have experience.

As to building your resume, I'm probably not the person to answer. I always tell people "search my name, that's my resume". I haven't put one together for many years now. I'm not sure what the latest trend is. Heck, the last 18 years consists of two positions. Ha! In short, see what others have to say on this topic.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thank sir,

You have been great help!!!

• ns550 wrote:

Hi Grant, Do I really need to have any kind of certificate to apply for an entry level job? And also I graduated high school and have some college experience, I have been working in retail business and assembler for my whole life, my question 'How should my entry level resume look to get me started?

One thing that would look great on your resume is to identify that you've downloaded the Developer's Edition and SSMS and are deeply involved in self-study on your own boxes.  Any time you can spend helping charities with their systems would also go a long way for having some experience and also showing that you have the right stuff.

And, no... don't just download the Developer's Edition and let it sit.  Start practicing.  Buy a beginner's book and start going through it page by page.  Do every example.  Then ramp up by getting a couple of books by Itzek Ben-Gan and Grant Fritchey's book on execution plans and go through those, as well.  Learning some of the "Black Arts" stuff like Tally Tables and cCTEs (Cascading CTEs and not to be confused with Recursive CTEs) would be a big help, as well.  Learn every date/time trick you can.  Study indexes and index maintenance.  Study backups and restores.  Learn terms like what SARGability, parameter sniffing, CROSSTABS and PIVOTS, how to use APPLY, and what a "Catch-All" query is and how to write them.

In other words, prove that, although you're a newbie, that you've got the right stuff that they're looking for and that generally boils down to proving that you're motivated to learn with or without the benefit of formal training.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply