Need details on SQL Server 2012 - Licence Quantity

• Hi,

we have SQL Server 2012 software of Enterprise and Standard Edition.

1. Microsoft SQLSvrEnterpriseCore Sngl Licence/SoftwareAssurancePack OLP 2Licences LevelC CoreLic - Quantity 32

2. Microsoft SQLSvrStandardCore Sngl Licence/SoftwareAssurancePack OLP 2Licences LevelC CoreLic - Quantity 30

Please let me know what is meaning of

a) Sngl Licence

b) 2Licences Levelc

c) Quantity

Please let me know how many cores of VM or pyhical server 1 quantity enterpise or standard edition of sql server can use.

a) Suppose there are 4 VM server and sql server 2012 ENT/STD is installed on it. How can we come to know number of sql server quantiy used on each machine

b) 1 Quantity of 'Microsoft SQLSvrEnterpriseCore Sngl Licence/SoftwareAssurancePack OLP 2Licences LevelC CoreLic' supports

how many cores

Regards,

Nikhil P Desai

• My advice would be to contact your software vendor and have them confirm what it means.

SQL Server per core licencing requires a minimum of 4 cores to be licensed per server - even if it only has 1 or 2.

Licences come in 2-core packs. So for a single server you would need two, 2-core licence packs to cover 4 cores.

Standard Edition can only be used to license physical servers or individual virtual machines.

Enterprise Edition can be used to license physical servers, individual virtual machines and hyper-visor host servers.

The number of virtual machines you can run with SQL Server on a hyper-visor host server really depends on if you have Software Assurance or not. With Software Assurance you can run as many as you want, without Software Assurance you can only run as many as you have physical cores (I think).

Software Assurance also grants other benefits such as licence mobility and is essential if you plan to run Active/Passive clusters where you don't wish to buy a licence for the passive node.

If none of the above made sense refer back to my first sentence 🙂

• Thank for clarifying doubt

Regards,

Nikhil Desai

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply