Need clarification

• Reason for suspect databases in ms sql ,

i know that sp_resetstatus will reset i need why it is in suspect state

What is CHECKPOINT,what is the use of it.

Thanks
    Parthi

• Suspect state tells that database is corrupted meaning either physical files or filegroups are damaged or logical entries in system tables has been corrupted.

Checkpoint

Writes all dirty pages for the current database to disk. Dirty pages are data pages that have been entered into the buffer cache and modified, but not yet written to disk. Checkpoints save time during a later recovery by creating a point at which all dirty pages are guaranteed to have been written to disk.

• parthi-1705 (11/3/2009)

Reason for suspect databases in ms sql ,

There could be a lot. Please introduce ourselves to your situation and do not generalize it. If you want to know in general the best resource for you is BOL.

i know that sp_resetstatus will reset i need why it is in suspect state

What is CHECKPOINT,what is the use of it.

No. the command may not. Your data is corrupt and the database does not behave normally to the commands as it was supposed to do.

• parthi-1705 (11/3/2009)

Reason for suspect databases in ms sql ,

Could be one of several. Look in the SQL error log. There will be entries in there saying why the DB is suspect. If you can't interpret them, post them here, we'll help.

i know that sp_resetstatus will reset

Not necessarily. It's also a very old way. Find out why it's suspect first. You can't fix the problem without knowing the cause of the problem.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sejal p gudhka (11/4/2009)

Suspect state tells that database is corrupted meaning either physical files or filegroups are damaged or logical entries in system tables has been corrupted.

Almost. A db can be corrupt without being suspect.

Suspect means that restart-recovery started and could not complete due to corruption in the database or log or that a rollback failed because of corruption.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There are lots of reasons and last time I had it happen I had to reset its status because I fixed the underlying problem. For me one of the files was not available. But read the errorlog and let us know.

CEWII

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply