Need Advice on CLustering 2008R2

• Hello Everyone

I hope that you all had a very nice weekend.

I am working on a project that deal with formatting the drives on a couple SQL Clustered boxes. The current setup is Active-Passive

From what I know, and what I have read, I have not found anything that tells me that this cannot be accomplished. Being a SQL DBA, I have not had the opportunity to work with Clustering all that extensively. Mostly just failing over and monitoring. So I need to make sure that I can document every granular step, perform each step in order in a Development environment, and then be ready to do the same thing for the Production environment.

I need to add a new Node to the current Cluster

I need to fail over the Active side to the now New Node that was just created

I want to Evict the old, original node

Format all the drives and mount points that are on the original Node

Add this as a New Node back to the Cluster after formatting the drives

Fail Over the current node to this new Node that was just added, just to be sure that it works.

Lose no data in the process. This one is the most important.

I am looking for some advice, tips, tricks, comments, etc..... on steps for this entire process. I need to make sure that I am not missing anything that that no step, no matter how large or small will be in my list. I am creating a document list of each step in fine detail.

Thank you in advance for your time, comments and suggestions

Andrew SQLDBA

• As clustering requires shared storage which is not specific to a single node when you failover the disks will be detached from the current node and attached to the new node. Hence you wont be able to remove \ format them.

If you plan to remove the old storage you need to attach the new storage to the active node, migrate the databases to the new drives using something like detach \ attach, then remove the old storage from the cluster which can then be formatted etc.

This will require downtime while the DB's are migrated.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• AndrewSQLDBA (2/2/2015)

I need to add a new Node to the current Cluster

I need to fail over the Active side to the now New Node that was just created

I want to Evict the old, original node

Format all the drives and mount points that are on the original Node

You want to format the OS drives on the old node?

AndrewSQLDBA (2/2/2015)

Add this as a New Node back to the Cluster after formatting the drives

Fail Over the current node to this new Node that was just added, just to be sure that it works.

Lose no data in the process. This one is the most important.

I am looking for some advice, tips, tricks, comments, etc..... on steps for this entire process. I need to make sure that I am not missing anything that that no step, no matter how large or small will be in my list. I am creating a document list of each step in fine detail.

Thank you in advance for your time, comments and suggestions

Andrew SQLDBA

You mention adding the node back to the cluster but you havent mentioned running the add node wizard to join the rebuilt node to the existing clustered instance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply