Need a solution for high availability

• Mirroring can be a useful way to quickly get access to your operational data, but there is a gotcha if you are using replication.

The mirrored instance uses the same physical distribution database as the primary instance. If your primary database and distribution database are on the same server (which is often good for P2P performance) then if your primary server fails the mirror server cannot do any replication. You can rebuild the subscriptions using a different distribution database, but quick and easy this is not.

The option given in the case study of having two P2P servers per site may be the better option. This means that if one server fails the other can take on the workload and the P2P replication continues without any changes being needed.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• EdVassie (4/20/2010)

Mirroring can be a useful way to quickly get access to your operational data, but there is a gotcha if you are using replication.

The mirrored instance uses the same physical distribution database as the primary instance. If your primary database and distribution database are on the same server (which is often good for P2P performance) then if your primary server fails the mirror server cannot do any replication. You can rebuild the subscriptions using a different distribution database, but quick and easy this is not.

The option given in the case study of having two P2P servers per site may be the better option. This means that if one server fails the other can take on the workload and the P2P replication continues without any

changes being needed.

Very interesting, thank you!

Owner & Principal SQL Server Consultant
    Im Your DBA, Inc.
    https://www.imyourdba.com/

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply