Need a Set-based way of number rows

• I am looking for a way to sequentially number the rows returned from a query, I have an identity field, but because of the query criteria it will not always be sequential.

Is there a simple way (Without a loop) to number these rows?

I have already thought about creating a temp table with an identity field for the sort, inserting the records in order to the temp table to get the new numbers.

Create Table #tmpTable
    (
    Col1 varchar(50),
    Col2 text,
    Sort int Identity
    )

INSERT INTO #tmpTable
    (Col1, Col2)
    SELECT Col1, Col2
    FROM MyTable
    WHERE Col1 = 'SomeCriteria'
    ORDER BY Col3

SELECT *
    FROM #tmpTable

DROP TABLE #tmpTable

My ultimate goal would be to have this work in a single query rather than relying on a stored procedure, but I realize that is unlikely.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• if you have a unique key in the results then yes

USE PUBS

SELECT ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Titles T2 WHERE T1.Title_id <= T2.Title_id) As RowNo , *

FROM Titles T1

ORDER BY 1

but try this on a bigger table , and it will probably kill your server .. stick to the temporary table if you can

• Info you are going to use a temp teable, then the Identity() function might help you out. I've used it before and It provides the identity field for the column.

try this:

SELECT Col1,

Col2,

IDENTITY(int, 1,1) AS Sort

Into

#tmpTable

FROM MyTable

WHERE Col1 = 'SomeCriteria'

ORDER BY Col3

select * from #tmptable

lowell@stormrage.com

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Doing the explicit create table is preferred, the select into can cause blocking in tempdb.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Thanks for the help everyone, I built the page useing my origional idea (Posted in my first message) and everything seems to be working fine.

I had not been aware of the IDENTITY() function, too bad it only works in a SELECT - INTO statement.

Thanks Again

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply