Need a .net like function in user defined function of sql server

• I have a .net code which i need to replicate as it is in sql server. Need a same user defined function as follows. As I am not that much expert in sql server could you please help me.

My .net function is as follows.

public static string GetCsv(params string[] list)    {    string comma = "";    string ret = "";    for (int i = 0; i < list.Length; i++)    {      if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(list))      {        ret += comma + list;        comma = ",";      }    }    return ret;    }

• My C# isn't great, especially when code is given in one single (unreadable) line. My guess is that this is a Delimited String Splitter? If so, a simple Google Search would have yielded you a lot of results; there's even one on this site.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• It doesn't split it creates a string from a list which each item separated by a comma. To do it in SQL check out the for xml options for concatenating strings - https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/11/25/sql-server-comma-separated-values-csv-from-table-column/

PS assuming you are using .net 4.0 then there is no need for a loop just use the following:

public static string GetCsv(params string[] list)
    {
      return string.Join(",", list);
    }

• Ahh, ok. If it's converting into a CSV then this will work (using STUFF and FOR XML PATH):

CREATE TABLE #Sample (String varchar(10));
    GO
    INSERT INTO #Sample
    VALUES ('Red'),('Green'),('Blue'),('Yellow'),('White'),('Black');
    GO
    SELECT String
    FROM #Sample;
    GO
    SELECT STUFF((SELECT ',' + String
         FROM #Sample
         FOR XML PATH('')),1,1,'') AS CSV;
    GO
    DROP TABLE #Sample;
    GO

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Just adding more details as you got answers. You can't create a function that will work for everything, unless you do additional work that is not really recommended. You should understand how the XML concatenation works and Wayne Sheffield did a good job explaining it here: Creating a comma-separated list (SQL Spackle) - SQLServerCentral
    Once you understood the process, you can simply create a snippet to speed up your coding. Or you can take the one I shared here among others:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SSMS/138994/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply