Need A Help in DATA MASKING in SQL SERVER 2008

• This time I gave attetion while creating database, and choose my user name as owner of this database.

but still , the server on which we are working is sqlserver/server2008r2

under which there is a database called -> encrypt_test1 -> in this folder under security folder -> Certificate and symmetric key is there.

which everyone can see, while they login to the server..

• You should have a password on your certificate.

create certificate MySalaryCert

ENCRYPTION BY PASSWORD = N'UCan!tBreakThis1'

WITH SUBJECT = 'Sammamish Shipping Records',

EXPIRY_DATE = '20121231';

go

If you don't give your coworkers the password, they can't decrypt things.

• Please find following attachment , specially for Steve, Sean and Lowell...

• So far, not a single user here addressed the real use case, and the real use case was NOT ENCRYPTION. if it was encryption, no one would care do decrypt it to the user.

The case in point was data masking and it is VERY different from encryption. Data masking retains the format yet hides the value. It de-identifies the person - and this is the real reason. We are in business to solve problems that make sense not to figure out how to do something that does not

the articles that describes the best ways to do data masking are on the internet. However, implementation is hard, lengthy, and the ability to resolve may be limited.

There are different third party tools in place and it is hard to install them in the banking environment with its separation of environments and more, however, if one needs a tool that is add-on to SQL server suite, one can try Hush Hush (http://mask-me.net), SSIS components that completely remove the need for development of data masking algorithms. It will save you headache and your manager the time of the development, not counting the necessary learning curve to learn new tools.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply