Naming cluster resources

• Hello everybody

I am writing a routine that will return the name of a particular SQL Server service resource on a cluster.  What I need to know is how the cluster names the resources.  For example, my cluster server has two SQL Server installations, both with named instances.  The service resources are named SQL Server (INSTANCE1) and SQL Server (INSTANCE2).

What if I have only one (default) instance on the cluster?  What if I have two default-instance installations?  How would the resources be named then?  Unfortunately I don't have enough spare hardware kicking around to test this out!

Thanks

John

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• In the case where your routine will return the defaut instance resource name, I don't know as I don't know what method your routine is using to determine the resource name.  I do know that the second option, two default instances, is not possible as SQL Server will not allow you to install two default instances.  All SQL Server installations installed after the default must be named instances. 

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John

You can have two default instances if you have two virtual servers on your cluster.  Or at least I imagine you can...

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply