Named Instance and specified port not connecting

• Hi all

I have opened up a port on a remote SQL instance and can see that the port is LISTENING when using the PortQry tool. I have also set the TCP port in the TCP/IP properties in the IPAll section for that instance, yet I am unable to connect and get an error of

Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=1; handshake=14998; (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? I have done this on other instances, although they were default instances, and it has always worked fine.

Thanks

• Could be firewall issue?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• SQL browser started and listening on 1434.

• yeah browser service is started and UDP 1434 is open 🙁

• Have tried from another server and the connection worked fine which would indicate the browser service is ok. I have no local firewall turned on am stumped at present!!

• So server to server works, but server to workstation doesnt?

Do you have any firewalls controlled by IT which sit between the servers and the workstation VLANs?

• what does your connection string look like?

are you putting servername-comma-port in the connection string? i know it's common for people to use a semicolon by mistake.

for example

Private Const SqlConnectionFormat As String = "data source={0};initial catalog={1};user id={2};password={3};Trusted_Connection=False;Connect Timeout=600;Application Name=Stormrage.ReportGrid.exe;"

my datasource might look like this:

data source=DEV223\SQL2012,14430;initial catalog=SandBox;

data source=192.168.0.55,14430;initial catalog=SandBox;

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi - I have got the networks guys to monitor blocked traffic on the firewalls and there is none for the defined port from my workstation. I know we are monitoring it as if I put in the incorrect port I can see its blocked.

I am trying to connect with SSMS and my string is ServerName\InstanceName,port - however with the broswer service running then I should be able to enter ServerName\InstanceName and it will resolve the port anyway correct?

This is an named SQL 2008 R2 install on the same box as as an existing 2008 SP1 default name install, although I can't see what different that makes.

• Kwisatz78 (2/14/2013)

Hi - I have got the networks guys to monitor blocked traffic on the firewalls and there is none for the defined port from my workstation. I know we are monitoring it as if I put in the incorrect port I can see its blocked.

I am trying to connect with SSMS and my string is ServerName\InstanceName,port

This is an named SQL 2008 R2 install on the same box as as an existing 2008 SP1 default name install, although I can't see what different that makes.

well, by default, a express instance will not answer to anything except local connections. Standard or Enterprise installations will answer by default, I believe.

ins this enabled on your named instance?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Not sure that's the issue as the OP said that he could connect to the instance from another server which would indicate that allow remote connections is enabled.

I'm guessing this is a firewall issue his IT need to investigate. Maybe they can check to see which group the server he could connect from is in and include his PC in the same group?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Yes the remote connections is working ok, not sure putting my PC in the same OU as the server will have any impact. We are now looking at another box we have a named instance on to compare whats going on. I will post any findings.

• it occured in vs2012(.net4.0) and sql2005(remoting connection),but it work well in .net4.5.(the same two machine)

• I just had this error on a newly-built Server 2012 R2.

Finally found the problem - the default setting on the firewall rule for SQL Management Studio is to block inbound connections - go to the firewall rule properties and check the radio button to "Allow the connection"

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply