#Name? ODBC Call Failed

• Does anybody else know that strange behaviour: When i try to open a linked table to a sql database, it shows all the fields replaced by #Name? with the error message "ODBC call failed".  ???!!  It worked fine yesterday, and all other tables of the same database are ok.   Access Guru's, please help.  Thanks! 

• When you get this it means your link is not working and the fields have not been populated. Try going to File/Get External Data/Link Tables and refresh the linked tables. This should restore the links and re-populate the table. If it doesn't then you have lost the link. You may need to contact the owner of the other source( database/server, etc) to see if there's a problem.

Kindest Regards,

Just a bozo on this bus

• I tried that and it didn't work.  Everything is fine from the SQL side, even when we query this table from Excel it's all good.  When i tried to import the table in Access using ODBC, i got another ODBC error citing "Restricted Data Type Attribute Violation".  No clue.   ???!!

• I'd bet 50 cents that you have a Bit field somewhere in the table, and that it does not have a default data value, and that you have at least one row in which that bit field is a null.  Set those nulls to 0 or 1, disallow nulls on the bit field, and set a default value of 0.

If that's not your problem, you could start at http://support.microsoft.com and search for "Restricted Data Type Attribute Violation".  See if any of what comes up fits your situation.

• You can also check SQL Books online for data type conversions Access to SQL and look for any mismatch....

Kindest Regards,

Just a bozo on this bus

• Thanks, the last column in the table view  we were trying to link somehow ended up as gobbly goo instead of date/time.  That's why Access couldn't link the table.  We ended up having to drop and recreate the view, now everything works fine and is accessible through MS Access - THANKS ALL!! 

• Damn!  Where do I send my 50 cents?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply