My Time is Valuable

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item My Time is Valuable

• I've got to comment on just one portion of your editorial, Steve, on automation. Where I work, when Microsoft announced Power Platform and related technologies, for some reason management turned it all off. This was another example of some action being taken from above, which puzzled me as to why they did it. Perhaps it was a choice of needing to save money; I don't know they didn't say. However, it has meant that when we could use something to automate simple tasks, being able to do so has been taken away. This has resulted in everyone doing some sort of low-level tasks which as you pointed out is a waste of money.

It's just odd.

Rod

• I guess the value of your time is determined by the authority of the person requesting it's use, within reason, of course.

This reminds me of a story related by my wife about an early experience right out of high school when she worked as secretary for an executive of a local broadcast company.  Her boss was in charge of construction of a new communications tower.  After a visit to the construction site, he instructed her to clean his muddy boots.

She promptly and politely explained to him how he could clean his boots.

For the record, she also explains lots of things to me...

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• I found execs moving from secretaries to doing their own email strange. At first, I think it is empowering and is efficient, but often this devolves into a low level task.

There's a balance here, and one-offs aren't bad, but having everyone try to learn PowerX to automate, isn't necessarily good. OTOH, getting IT to do some POwerX stuff can be much, much faster for small app tasks than doing software dev or leaving a manual process in place.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I found execs moving from secretaries to doing their own email strange. At first, I think it is empowering and is efficient, but often this devolves into a low level task.

There's a balance here, and one-offs aren't bad, but having everyone try to learn PowerX to automate, isn't necessarily good. OTOH, getting IT to do some POwerX stuff can be much, much faster for small app tasks than doing software dev or leaving a manual process in place.

Just this morning I received an email message from the current president of my alma mater, which was addressed to 'Rick' and signed by Phillip xxxxxx ( no pretentious title), reporting a situation and inviting a response.

Now I don't delude myself that it is a personal message, and the thought crosses my mind that I actually hope he is not spending his time sending me personal messages.  I understand how such things work, and it's OK with me.  However, I did note that the return address is an account for his office, and I can hope that the response, along with others, will reviewed and summarized for a committee considering the situation.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I found execs moving from secretaries to doing their own email strange. At first, I think it is empowering and is efficient, but often this devolves into a low level task.

I agree with you that training everyone to use PowerX isn't a good idea. However, I'm seeing the potential that PowerX brings, where untrained people who have an analytical component to their character could use it to do some repetitive tasks using a low-code/no-code approach has value and I believe a place in the enterprise.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply