My Scheduled SQL 2000 Backup Taking too long

• Respected Sir/s

MY Database size (including MDF, NDF & LDF) is 8 Gb, and the backup size for the same becomes 7 Gb , but when Scheduled backup start, the application goes very very slow down. Any process takes longer time till backup completes. Time for backup to complete is 40-50 minues.

So please suggest on this topic.

Vrijesh Prajapati

• You might want to look at third party backup tools which will reduce your backup window. Red Gate (who I work for) have a product called SQL Backup which will do this for you - other third party tool vendors also have tools - I am sure someone here will be able to give independent advice on them

They all have free trials so give them a go and see the difference they can make for you.

James

--
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software Ltd

• I use Idera's SQLSafe backup utility.  It has worked well for me as far as speed and compression of files.  You can adjust the number of backup threads that run concurrently.  The more threads, the quicker it gets done, providing that your disks can keep up.  However, I'm sure this puts a significant load on the system during the backup process but we do our db backups in off peak hours so it's not an issue for me.

3rd party utilities will certainly reduce your time window - but I'm not sure what will happen to your app performance.  In the final analysis, it probably all comes down to disk io and who gets it - the app or the backup.  

Ed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply