MY Data

• Actually members of Congress have to pass background checks to get access to Top Secret information. I don't believe the President has similar requirements.

• John Hanrahan (11/18/2014)

Actually members of Congress have to pass background checks to get access to Top Secret information. I don't believe the President has similar requirements.

Unless they are sitting on a special committee relating to oversight of CIA or national security, I don't believe they need access to top secret information to do their job, which is representing their district.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Actually members of Congress have to pass background checks to get access to Top Secret information. I don't believe the President has similar requirements.

If I understand the US judicial system he can just make a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Executive Order that would allow him to anyway. Right?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

They've already been checked by the time they become candidates (as soon as the nominations are locked in). really no sense in doing it again 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I thought the arguement was going to end up conforming to Godwin's law for a moment there...

• Some companies already do credit checks on potential employees. Companies are also manipulating the health of their employees by reducing health premiums if the employee successfully accomplishes a list of activities like taking health classes.

• The Fault (11/19/2014)

I thought the arguement was going to end up conforming to Godwin's law for a moment there...

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

How's that? I can't resist a Blues Brothers line. 😀

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Wayne West (11/19/2014)

The Fault (11/19/2014)

I thought the arguement was going to end up conforming to Godwin's law for a moment there...

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

Wayne loses by default!!! BTW Wayne, what did you lose? :hehe:

Gaz

• Gary Varga (11/19/2014)

Wayne West (11/19/2014)

The Fault (11/19/2014)

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

To keep with the theme, I think that would be a half pack of cigarettes, a full tank of gas and a pair of sunglasses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (11/19/2014)

Gary Varga (11/19/2014)

Wayne West (11/19/2014)

The Fault (11/19/2014)

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

To keep with the theme, I think that would be a half pack of cigarettes, a full tank of gas and a pair of sunglasses.

It must be dark then.

Gaz

• Matt Miller (#4) (11/19/2014)

Gary Varga (11/19/2014)

Wayne West (11/19/2014)

The Fault (11/19/2014)

"I hate Illinois Nazis."

I was going to say "It's 106 miles to El Paso", but it turns out it's only 91. *sigh* Chicago, on the other hand, is 1400 miles. I don't think I can do that on a full tank of gas. In a B-52 with full tanks, no problem. Also a lot faster.

True story: two friends of mine were married at the Jolliet Amtrak station. I was tickled pink to be there, even if it wasn't in the movie.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Matt Miller (#4) (11/18/2014)

John Hanrahan (11/18/2014)

They've already been checked by the time they become candidates (as soon as the nominations are locked in). really no sense in doing it again 🙂

Matt, as candidates I thought they are cleared for Secret clearance which covers both a clearing of the background and availability for office, and then later depending on the role and what committees they are seated in they may or may not be cleared for Top Secret clearance. I am probably wrong and things changed after Homeland Security changed almost everything, but that is what I believe happens.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Eric M Russell (11/18/2014)

Mining big data for the purpose of gaining insight into individual behaviour and making projections about outcomes is a lot like extracting gold from beach sand.

Or needle in a haystack? Blood from a stone?

• Miles Neale (11/19/2014)

Matt Miller (#4) (11/18/2014)

John Hanrahan (11/18/2014)

Matt, as candidates I thought they are cleared for Secret clearance which covers both a clearing of the background and availability for office, and then later depending on the role and what committees they are seated in they may or may not be cleared for Top Secret clearance. I am probably wrong and things changed after Homeland Security changed almost everything, but that is what I believe happens.

M.

There's a similar process when they are nominated as a presidential candidate. I am not entirely clear what level of clearance they are physically granted, but the intent is for them to have reasonable access to current info and to know what they can or cannot discuss. Without specifically denoting how deep that clearance goes, it did seem to be more than the secret clearance for those candidates than the ones for congress. It came up during the last campaign because Romney didn't have an active clearance at the time.

There isn't a public statement on it, but then again - the fact that you have a security clearance and what level in itself is confidential in nature. Besides - it's hard to imagine being able to get through a presidential campaign without every bit of your dirty laundry ever popping up on at least one of the news outlets.

• Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a company that ranks potential candidates based on their Credit, BMI, or Social Media score. How HR and the hiring manager conduct the interview process is a window into the culture and priorities of the organization itself.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply