My client just sent me a SQL Server Express 2005 file?!

• Sorry, I forgot you were using Express (which is basically a replacement for MSDE). This is taken from MSDN:

Support for SQL Server 2000 DTS Packages in SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition does not include Integration Services or support for SQL Server 2000 DTS packages.

To run existing DTS packages on a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition server, you must leave the SQL Server 2000 client tools or the DTS redistributable files on the server, or reinstall them. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition does not include the DTS runtime.

To edit existing DTS packages on a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition server, you must use SQL Server 2000, or edit the packages remotely from a server running SQL Server 2005 Workgroup, Standard, Enterprise, or Developer Edition. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition does not include SQL Server Management Studio or BI Development Studio.

To migrate existing DTS packages to SQL Server 2005 Integration Services, you must use SQL Server 2005 Standard, Enterprise, or Developer Edition. Other SQL Server 2005 editions do not include the Integration Services Package Migration Wizard.

If you want to look at the full details for backward compatibility (particularly with DTS) then this is the link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143706.aspx

I would do as BitBucket suggests and install the Developer edition. It's got all the bells and whistles of the Enterprise edition but is only licensed for use on development and test environments, but will at least allow you to do what you need to with your DTS packages.

• Phil / Bitbucket,

I appreciate both you helping make the transition from SQL Server 2000.

I will get the SQL Server 2005 developer edition today.

Sometime down the road I will work on renewing my certifcations with SQL Server 2005 instead of 2000.

Since I am moving from SQL Server 2000, I might even take a peek at SQL Server 2008 just to see what it has.

Thanks again.

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply