Must Setup be run with a domain account?

• I am running a SQL 2008r2 install while logged onto the server with a local admin account, not a domain account. I am specifying a domain account to run the SQL service. The install fails saying the service account credentials are invalid but I am 99.9% sure they are right.

My theory - the local admin account running Setup cannot validate the service account creds against AD.

Is it a requirement to run Setup while logged on with a domain account?

thanks

• Never run into that scenario before.

Have had the code page be different so a server the Infra team setup was a US keyboard rather then UK so " and @ are the wrong way round, so the password while typed in correctly is ultimately incorrect due to slight keyboard differences.

As a test, add the service accounts to the admin group on the server and try RDP'ing to the server as that user, that will rule out the account. Just remember to remove once testing finished, don't want to leave the service account with local admin rights.

• Thanks for the thoughts. My problem is my organization has gotten real zealous about security and now we can only RDP into servers through a certain tool and that tool connects you with a local admin account, not a domain account.

I would like to tell them a SQL install cannot be done that way, if the SQL service account is a domain account.

• Zealous about security and they want you to use a local account? Guessing this account is a general account for everyone to use? How do they know which person connected as that server as that user?

Using your own account would bring the auditability to detail who is logging on to what machine.

• Very true. This tool logs you in with a local admin account with a password that changes every time. Plus it records who you are and everything you do while logged in. I can still login to a server with my ID but it's read-only. If you need admin rights you use this tool.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply