Music Server for a budget Audiophile

• 'Anyone else using their computer as a source for their home stereo? Your advice is welcome here.

I have an old PC that I plan to use for a music server. I only have two channels on my home stereo (yes, I'm still working on getting only two channels right!)

It might be wireless too, but I mainly want to get the regular old wired scenario up and running first and foremost - copy all my CDs - only the good songs though - onto the hard drive using FLAC or other lossless tech.

Things I'm thinking of buying for it:

1- A good sound card like: ASUS Xonar Essence STX ($190)

2- Some quite fans for my PC ($60 - 90 ?)

3- A small monitor (up to $100) (I have a keyboard and mouse for it.)

4- Software to record and play CDs - MediaMonkey maybe? ($ ?)

Ideally this could be controlled from the TV instead with a remote control. 'Not sure how to do that. But I think XBox can do something there. 'Have to read more about that.

Also, this means spending some time copying all my music to the hard drive. That's a project in itself since I have about 300 CDs.

As for the audio card, one big plus is that it includes a Burr-Brown DAC - very :smooooth: ('Been wanting one of those for a while now anyway.)

This is sort of off the top of my head - please guide me. I don't have "golden ears" but I -can- hear poor quality audio. I mainly try to avoid bad audio as opposed to being a perfectionist about it.

Anyway, please let me know what you have and if you like it.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• 'Hope I didn't "Gila Monster" anyone off by talking about Hi-Fi and DACs and such. 🙂 Surely someone has a system they've set up that sounds good!

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• how are you connecting to your home stereo? PC straight to receiver?

for $200 to $300 or so you can buy a set of wifi/bluetooth speakers and just use itunes to stream to them

or just buy the classic ipod with 160GB storage and a stereo with a dock and listen to it. some new receivers also have apple's airplay built in so you can stream from itunes or any iOS device

itunes is slow for large collections but has a lot of nice features like smart playlists

• alen teplitsky (4/13/2011)

how are you connecting to your home stereo? PC straight to receiver?

for $200 to $300 or so you can buy a set of wifi/bluetooth speakers and just use itunes to stream to them

Yes, I plan to run the PC straight to my receiver (or, actually an integrated amp).

I'll take a look at the Xbox link when I get home. Maybe I don't need a monitor and Media Monkey (or other software). I'll save money where I can, I really didn't want to spend so much on it. Buf if you compare some of the ready-made systems out there for $3,000 and up, it's still cheap.

• don't know how it's going to work with FLAC, but back in the 1990's when i tried this with mp3's the result was horrible. i think it was better with a lossless encode but i don't think it was as good as a CD. i did try lossless again a few years ago on my iphone but hated it. it took way too much storage and i changed them all to aac.

if you don't like apple, check out the PS3. $349 for the 320GB version. not sure about it's music management features though

i have an x-box as well but never used it for this. you can probably just copy all your music onto the x-box and play it from there

• I think I'm sticking with lossless audio - at least at first. Then I might try the other formats.

As for the XBOX, I see where you can RIP CDs to the hard drive, but I'm not sure what format it converts them to (but probably one of MSs codecs.). Also, my XBOX is one of the cheap ones with a small HD - I believe it's only 20GBs and I don't plan to try to upgrade it. So as far as I know, the XBOX won't work for me unfortunately. But thanks for the ideas! I appreciate your input.

• mtillman-921105 (4/12/2011)

'Anyone else using their computer as a source for their home stereo? Your advice is welcome here.

I have an old PC that I plan to use for a music server. I only have two channels on my home stereo (yes, I'm still working on getting only two channels right!)

It might be wireless too, but I mainly want to get the regular old wired scenario up and running first and foremost - copy all my CDs - only the good songs though - onto the hard drive using FLAC or other lossless tech.

Things I'm thinking of buying for it:

1- A good sound card like: ASUS Xonar Essence STX ($190)

2- Some quite fans for my PC ($60 - 90 ?)

3- A small monitor (up to $100) (I have a keyboard and mouse for it.)

4- Software to record and play CDs - MediaMonkey maybe? ($ ?)

Ideally this could be controlled from the TV instead with a remote control. 'Not sure how to do that. But I think XBox can do something there. 'Have to read more about that.

Also, this means spending some time copying all my music to the hard drive. That's a project in itself since I have about 300 CDs.

As for the audio card, one big plus is that it includes a Burr-Brown DAC - very :smooooth: ('Been wanting one of those for a while now anyway.)

This is sort of off the top of my head - please guide me. I don't have "golden ears" but I -can- hear poor quality audio. I mainly try to avoid bad audio as opposed to being a perfectionist about it.

Anyway, please let me know what you have and if you like it.

Are you just ripping CDs or other media formats as well?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan,

My primary objective is to copy all of my CDs in a lossless format to the hard drive. Of course, I can save drive space by ripping just the good songs. Some CDs only have one song that's worthwhile.

After I get that up and running, I'll experiment with other formats, such as streaming from a wireless connection.

But I'm interested in all kinds of setups - do you have one with good sound?

• mtillman-921105 (4/25/2011)

Stefan,

My primary objective is to copy all of my CDs in a lossless format to the hard drive. Of course, I can save drive space by ripping just the good songs. Some CDs only have one song that's worthwhile.

After I get that up and running, I'll experiment with other formats, such as streaming from a wireless connection.

But I'm interested in all kinds of setups - do you have one with good sound?

I think the sound I have on my system is fine, but I'm just using the speakers that came with my Dell. Sure I upgraded 1 level from the standard speakers that come with the system, but nothing really special.

When I first started this project, I had a 1T external HD and was ripping .wav files to it. Then I got an iPod and switched to .MP3. I haven't noticed a big change in quality. I'm about to set up a networked 1T external HD so my fiance and I can keep all our music in one place.

The big chore for me is "ripping" all my LPs, cassettes, 45s and 78s. I have a Thorens turntable that plays 33 1/3, 45 and 78 and a rbg to usb adapter to hook my tuner to my computer. It works well, but is real-time based. The CDs I rip with Roxio, mostly because it is as good as most any other software and comes with the computer. I've had problems with their files not being importable from one version to the next, but that's not a concern with ripping, just with burning.

If you want high-end, I'd suggest Dart Pro. They're who I plan to use once I start trying to rip the 78s at higher quality. I know people who use it and they like it quite a bit.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (4/25/2011)

I think the sound I have on my system is fine, but I'm just using the speakers that came with my Dell. Sure I upgraded 1 level from the standard speakers that come with the system, but nothing really special.

When I first started this project, I had a 1T external HD and was ripping .wav files to it. Then I got an iPod and switched to .MP3. I haven't noticed a big change in quality. I'm about to set up a networked 1T external HD so my fiance and I can keep all our music in one place.

The big chore for me is "ripping" all my LPs, cassettes, 45s and 78s. I have a Thorens turntable that plays 33 1/3, 45 and 78 and a rbg to usb adapter to hook my tuner to my computer. It works well, but is real-time based. The CDs I rip with Roxio, mostly because it is as good as most any other software and comes with the computer. I've had problems with their files not being importable from one version to the next, but that's not a concern with ripping, just with burning.

If you want high-end, I'd suggest Dart Pro. They're who I plan to use once I start trying to rip the 78s at higher quality. I know people who use it and they like it quite a bit.

I had some Dell Speakers on my PC too for a long time and they sounded OK. I upgraded to some Logitech speakers that sound better though. (But that's not a recommendation, I just happened to get these Logitech PC speakers. Other brands may sound better for about the same price. )

In a way, since you're using vinyl, you're more of an audiophile than I am. 🙂 I have some old records, but they're scratched and abused. To go the vinyl route, I would have to buy all new records and a good turntable. So I'm sticking with digital for now. I have a couple of super-audio CDs that sound better than the ordinary CDs, but I think that I would only be willing to pay the extra money for the music I like the most. So maybe I'd buy super-audio CDs for my top 10 albums - there isn't a huge difference on my home stereo. But the sound of super-audio is richer - more of a "full" quality about it.

• mtillman-921105 (4/25/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (4/25/2011)

I had some Dell Speakers on my PC too for a long time and they sounded OK. I upgraded to some Logitech speakers that sound better though. (But that's not a recommendation, I just happened to get these Logitech PC speakers. Other brands may sound better for about the same price. )

In a way, since you're using vinyl, you're more of an audiophile than I am. 🙂 I have some old records, but they're scratched and abused. To go the vinyl route, I would have to buy all new records and a good turntable. So I'm sticking with digital for now. I have a couple of super-audio CDs that sound better than the ordinary CDs, but I think that I would only be willing to pay the extra money for the music I like the most. So maybe I'd buy super-audio CDs for my top 10 albums - there isn't a huge difference on my home stereo. But the sound of super-audio is richer - more of a "full" quality about it.

Oh, I don't think there's anything inherantly better about vinyl, I'm just old enough that that's what was primarily available when I started collecting music. The 78s are because a lot of that music has never been re-released. A good turntable will cost you around $300. If you're ever in the market, I'd be happy to give you some suggestions of what to look for and what to stay away from. In fact, I'm going to be selling much of my vinyl soon. Anything I already have on CD I'm getting rod of the vinyl equivalent.

• Excuse the thread resurrection, but last night I used my home stereo music server for the first time. I installed the Asus sound card and it's amazing. I was blaming my integrated amp for the sound quality being mediocre, but it was my CD player (an inexpensive Denon) that resulted in less than optimal sound quality. I think the Burr-Brown DAC (digital to analogue converter) is what makes the difference - I've wanted one for years now.

There was a small hurdle installing the Asus Xonar Essence sound card on my Dell Dimension. To get cleaner power, it has to be connected to the power supply. I had to buy an extension for the Molex 4-pin connector. So be aware of that if you buy one of these sound cards.

I still want to replace the fans to make the PC quieter, but that can wait for now.

I'm using lossless audio to rip them to the drive, and that takes a lot of drive space. But I have about 125 GBs free on my drive, which is enough for now.

Media Monkey is a little disappointing, but that may well be my fault. I just wish it was more intuitive to use although I haven't read the manual - I've just tried to wing it, so to speak.

For an audiophile, if you buy a new component and the sound quality is improved enough, you want to go listen to all of your music again "for the first time." This music server has made that much difference - I can't wait to get home to listen more! If you have an older PC around to use, it's not a bad deal for around $200, when upgrading speakers or an amplifier cost much more.

• mtillman-921105 (7/8/2011)

Excuse the thread resurrection, but last night I used my home stereo music server for the first time. I installed the Asus sound card and it's amazing. I was blaming my integrated amp for the sound quality being mediocre, but it was my CD player (an inexpensive Denon) that resulted in less than optimal sound quality. I think the Burr-Brown DAC (digital to analogue converter) is what makes the difference - I've wanted one for years now.

There was a small hurdle installing the Asus Xonar Essence sound card on my Dell Dimension. To get cleaner power, it has to be connected to the power supply. I had to buy an extension for the Molex 4-pin connector. So be aware of that if you buy one of these sound cards.

I still want to replace the fans to make the PC quieter, but that can wait for now.

I'm using lossless audio to rip them to the drive, and that takes a lot of drive space. But I have about 125 GBs free on my drive, which is enough for now.

Media Monkey is a little disappointing, but that may well be my fault. I just wish it was more intuitive to use although I haven't read the manual - I've just tried to wing it, so to speak.

For an audiophile, if you buy a new component and the sound quality is improved enough, you want to go listen to all of your music again "for the first time." This music server has made that much difference - I can't wait to get home to listen more! If you have an older PC around to use, it's not a bad deal for around $200, when upgrading speakers or an amplifier cost much more.

If Media Monkey is disappointing, check out DartPro. It might be better suited for your needs.

What file type do you get with lossless audio?

• So far, I'm only using WAV files, but I plan to experiment.

• mtillman-921105 (7/8/2011)

So far, I'm only using WAV files, but I plan to experiment.

Yeah, I started out with .wav files too, but ended up caving in and using .MP3s because portability turned out to be more important than sound quality. I can fit 10 times as many files on my iPod with MP3 as I can with WAV and that's important as I already have more files on there than I could fit if they were WAV files. And my collection is less than half-ripped.

I also recommend a network capable Buffalo drive. I got a 1 TB drive and it was easy to put on the network, it is quiet and fast.

If that's not the right link, I apologize. I got mine at Microcenter and I didn't look closely at the product in the link. It is the right brand though. For hardware, I usually use Pricewatch[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply