Music for DBAs

• Has to be classic ROCK all the way!

Highway to Dell (AC/DC)

Don’t fear the database keeper (Blue Oyster Colut)

Even Process Flow (Pearl Jam)

Holy DB Driver (DIO)

Paradise by the Performance Dashboard Light (Meat Loaf)

She’s Electric (Oasis)

We Will Block You (Queen)

• Down, down, DB is down - Status Quo

When I'm sixty-four bit - The Beatles

Instance Karma - John Lennon

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• Start me up - Rolling Stones. Mainly for the line about Oracle: "You make a grown man cry".

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • Depends upon mood. Currently listening to "Johnson Machine Gun" by Sunnyland Slim. I listen to an eclectic collection of Blues, Classic, Rock, and some Jazz. I'm particularly fond of cello concertos when I'm trying to concentrate on something...

But then again, I'll switch over to Rammstein and Judas Priest when office politics start getting ugly. New song now, Popa Chubby- "Daddy Played the Guitar and Mommy was a Disco Queen"

How about?

Coleman Hawkins

Albert Collins

Mojo Nixon (I host the media for Mojo's bootleg shack, http://www.artrocity.com/rockshots/mojo1.htm )

Leon Redbone

If I know I won't be interrupted- Floyd.

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

Big George Jackson

Heinrich Biber

perhaps my favorite, Jethro Tull

As I said, tastes vary by mood. Unfortunately, here at work I'm limited to ~110gb. My library at home is beginning to overflow the 640gb backup drive. I started buying CDs in college and haven't stopped. Then I found Emusic. But they've changed their business model...

I also have a nice hour long recording of rain with heavy thunderstorms...

Honor Super Omnia-
    Jason Miller

• Some years ago, I ran into an educational concept called 'learning styles'. It was a group of people attempting to catalogue the various ways that people take in information. You've probably heard that some people take in information best visually, while others take it in through hearing.

While looking at other factors, the researchers noted the phenomena of people who need some sort of controlled background noise to help them focus on the task at hand. It was reasoned that people who need this may have a hyper-awareness of their environment. In a different life they would have made a great security guard, always hearing the signs of an instruder or an unusual problem. In other careers, it's just distracting. The researchers felt that any controlled noise works. They suggested some light classical, but I don't get anywhere bringing this up to my hard rock friends, many of whom I'm guessing participate in this forum...

P.S. I'm very thankful for the advent of headphones. When I was in college, there was always at least one person with this syndrome who insisted on playing their stereo full blast while they studied. I wound up having to go out to the library...

• Just code it (MJ)

Transaction Rhapsody (Queen)

• "Firehose about to rock (AC/DC)"???:Whistling:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/ ?:-D

• You can tune a database but you can't tuna fish (Ok, its an album and it's just because of the title...REO Speedwagon)

Can't you hear me blocking (Rolling Stones)

Wait til the sh__ hits the fan (Little Feat)

Business as usual (Little Feat)

Enter SQLman (Metallica)

Maxwell's SQL hammer (The Beatles)

Bridge of sighs (Robin Trower)

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• Someguy (7/7/2009)

Some years ago, I ran into an educational concept called 'learning styles'. It was a group of people attempting to catalogue the various ways that people take in information. You've probably heard that some people take in information best visually, while others take it in through hearing.

While looking at other factors, the researchers noted the phenomena of people who need some sort of controlled background noise to help them focus on the task at hand. It was reasoned that people who need this may have a hyper-awareness of their environment. In a different life they would have made a great security guard, always hearing the signs of an instruder or an unusual problem. In other careers, it's just distracting. The researchers felt that any controlled noise works. They suggested some light classical, but I don't get anywhere bringing this up to my hard rock friends, many of whom I'm guessing participate in this forum...

P.S. I'm very thankful for the advent of headphones. When I was in college, there was always at least one person with this syndrome who insisted on playing their stereo full blast while they studied. I wound up having to go out to the library...

Classic can be good, in my view, but I find that it's often a bit slow and not very interesting compared to Metal.

A side note, there was a report in Sweden that studied classic and metal music. The paper concluded that both music are complex and quiet similar in that way. To illustrate this, most people that has never heard metal music and then hears it only hears a lot of sounds but not the music. Anyway, they concluded that those who likes eather classic or metal music has a good chance of liking the other part as well because of the similarities, both classic and metal can be quite complex compared to other types of music. I believe the paper was done in Uppsala (Sweden) but can't remember more than that.

• Document - Assemblage23

Circle of the Tyrants - Celtic Frost

White Room - Cream

Looking for Strange - KMFDM

Stalkers - Mind.In.A.Box.

Be The Hero - O.S.I.

Travel - The Gathering

Fearless - VNV Nation

One Day Remains - Alter Bridge

Deliverence - Opeth

• Depending what I'm doing and what's going on in the office around me it's usually classical or metal. Metal drowns out background noise better, but classical helps me zone better. I find that anything with a beat tends to distract eventually.

Here's some more for the list.

Day of the Deadlock (Misfits)

MARS Attacks (Misfits)

I gotta right(@VarName,3) (misfits)

Primary Keys to the kingdom (Motorhead)

• Tony Davis (7/4/2009)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Music for DBAs

Disaster Recovery:

Mannin' the Mirror (Michael Jackson, RIP)

Maintenance:

Upgrade (Beyonce)

Storage:

iSCSI of the Tiger (Survivor)

Drive (The Cars)

This is fun. I will try to think of more.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Building software is a robotic task like it or not. Any developer listening to the kind of music listed in the editorial runs the risk of leaking emotion into their software - obviously a very dangerous thing...

Hence, there is only one real music for any true developer - TechnoPop...

I strongly recommend either Normal Guise (www.NormalGuise.com) or Animusic (www.Animusic.com).

However, since Microsoft has ended the age of creativity and wants us all to march in lock-step to the .NET beat, the true "national anthem" for any developer is Peter Frampton's "Do you code like I do".

(Those who do not follow in lock-step better "Run like Hell" by Pink Floyd...)

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • I have a habit of playing the drum parts to whatever i'm listening to by tapping my heels and toes. usually i listen to metal or progressive rock, since the beats are more interesting than most other genres (try to write a crosstab query while playing along in 27/8; just plain awesome):

-Shed (Meshuggah)

-Darkness Spawned (The Black Dahlia Murder)

-Embraced by Desolation (Into Eternity)

-The ConstruKction of Light Part 1 (King Crimson)

I like listening to techno/electronica when i'm doing busy work:

-Move (Spacer)

-Star Guitar (Chemical Brothers)

-Plotinus (Squarepusher)

-Anything by Ken Ishii

Sometimes i get stressed and like something a little softer. That's when i go for classical or ambient techno:

-Symphonie Fantastique (Berlios)

-[Window Sill] (Aphex Twin)

-Thoughts Like Rain (DJ Spooky)

-Anything Vivaldi

• Great List Tony -

I thought I was the only one singing SQL Agent Man!

Jeff

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply