Multiple parameter selections

• HI ALL - Anyone ever had to do the following - hopefully someone has

Scenario

I have 2 parameters - 1 is a free entry textbox - 2nd is a result parameter based on the text entered

the data comes from a cube and I am using CONTAINS as the criteria for the search

What I need to be able to do is carry out multiple searches using above parameters to build a report

for example...

I enter 234 - get back 234,2341 - I select 234 as this is the one I need,

I then enter 121, get back 121,1214 - I select 121

and so on until I have selected all the product I need to build the report.

Then run the report and all the items I have selected from the searches appears in the report.

Hoepfully this make logical sense !

Any advise, adivse or links would be fantastic !!

Kind regards

• ian.dunlop 7059 (9/15/2010)

HI ALL - Anyone ever had to do the following - hopefully someone has

Scenario

I have 2 parameters - 1 is a free entry textbox - 2nd is a result parameter based on the text entered

the data comes from a cube and I am using CONTAINS as the criteria for the search

What I need to be able to do is carry out multiple searches using above parameters to build a report

for example...

I enter 234 - get back 234,2341 - I select 234 as this is the one I need,

I then enter 121, get back 121,1214 - I select 121

and so on until I have selected all the product I need to build the report.

Then run the report and all the items I have selected from the searches appears in the report.

Hoepfully this make logical sense !

Any advise, adivse or links would be fantastic !!

Kind regards

Advice:

You may have to develop a .NET application which supports the autocomplete feature using readily available classes(Desktop) or AJAX(Windows)

Such feature is not yet available in SSRS 2008

Raunak J

• You can make a parameter depend on the value of another parameter. I've done it several times with drop down lists. All you have to do is to make the text box parameter a parameter in the query of your list box parameter. At least that is how I do it when I use drop downs.

• Nils Gustav Stråbø (9/15/2010)

You can make a parameter depend on the value of another parameter. I've done it several times with drop down lists. All you have to do is to make the text box parameter a parameter in the query of your list box parameter. At least that is how I do it when I use drop downs.

OP requirement is not related to cascaded parameter selection :-):-)

Raunak J

• 🙂 I saw that now. I have to carefully read the entire post. Didn't see the line "and so on until I have selected all the product I need to build the report"

• Here's a guess (and it's only a guess): Enter all the search strings into one box -- e.g., "234, 121, 203, 119". That string gets passed to a stored proc that parses the delimited strings (probably want to call a function for that), returns all the possible matches in a table, then have a dependent multi-value drop-down list that returns all those table rows in one list? In theory, I think that would work. Could be one heck of a long drop-down, but it would accomplish the task.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply