Multiple Lines Returned in SQL 2000 - Help!

• Good afternoon and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Does anyone know of any syntax bugs migrating from SQL 7 to 2000? I have a query spawning a report and when I run it against a SQL 7 DB I get somthing like 1k rows (which is correct).

If I switch the report to a SQL 2000 DB with the same code, table structure, etc... the results shoot to 8k rows and the data looks corrupt as well. I have dropped the table in 2000 and rebuilt it but I still get the same error. The program in is Cold Fusion but after going line by line in it, that looks good as well.

Has anyone ever ran into anything like this?

Thanks for the time and help;

Josh

• Which MDAC version are on both your SQL Server and client machine? Do you see same problem if you run the same query from QA?

• Unfortunatly the data is still wacked out in QA (Great idea though). The MDAC versions are 7 - 3.70.10.63 and 2k - 2000.81.9031.14

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Josh

• I would upgrade the MDAC in client machine to MDAC 2.7 SP1 which is the version in your server first. If it doesn't work, SQL Server 2000 client connective tools may have to be installed too.

• I agree you should try upgrading MDAC, but could you show the SQL statement?

--

Chris Hedgate @ Apptus Technologies (http://www.apptus.se)

http://www.sql.nu

• Some of the SQL configuration settings have different default values in SQL 2000 and this has led to some situations where "everything is the same except the results".

Without seeing your specifics it would be difficult to know what might be the underlying cause. If you can be more forthvoming, perhaps someone here can shed thje necessary light on the problem.

HTH

Steve Hendricks

MCSD, MCDBA

AFS Consulting Group

shendricks@afsconsulting.com

(949) 588-9800 x15

Steve Hendricks
    MCSD, MCDBA
    Data Matrix

shendricks@afsconsulting.com
    (949) 588-9800 x15

• Which version of your SQL Server client tools such as QA installed in the client machine that you have such problem? You need SQL Server 2000 version.

SQL Server uses an application level protocol called Tabular Data Stream (TDS) to communicate between applications and instances of SQL Server. The TDS applications using the SQL Server 7.0 versions is 7.0 but is 8.0 in SQL Server 2000.

See "Connecting Early Version Clients to SQL Server 2000" in BOL for details.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 03/28/2003 12:52:28 PM

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 03/28/2003 2:29:34 PM

• The query is a good start point for the analysis, but it would be useful simple verifications such as: compare the data of the tables in the query, a simple count(*), would discard differences (multiple imports in the same table).

I had observed for example, that physical order is not kept between versions (some buggy app, depending in nothing but the order of adding rows for reporting, 'start to fail' in sql 2k, when in fact, it need a cluster index or a explicit order by in queries)

• Sorry about not posting for a few days, I had to go to W. Virginia for awhile.

I looked into the MDAC versions but then it dawned on me that Cold Fusion MX (The web engine the reports feed to) uses a Java version for connectivity.

I am going to go pester Macromedia and see if this could be a Cold Fusion thing as well. We just recently upgraded both DB and web server so maybe the two don't see eye to eye in standard config.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it and will post again when I have a solution.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply