Multiple Instances of SQL Server 2016 Standard on Azure VM (IaaS)

• Hi,

Current client is want to migrate a number of of small, none resource intensive apps to Azure VM. The databases for this apps will reside on SQL Server 2016 Standard with multiple instances.  The database server for this has been configured with 112GB RAM and 16 processors. As mentioned none of the apps are that db resource intensive. There will be a default instance and four named instances each with 1-5 databases on it.

My question is what would I configure for the max memory setting? Would it be the same for each instance? (Obviously there will be some monitoring when it all goes live.)  Are there any gotchas as this is an Azure VM?

Cheers and TIA,

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 - Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:47 AM

... 112GB RAM and 16 processors. ... There will be a default instance and four named instances each with 1-5 databases on it.

My question is what would I configure for the max memory setting? Would it be the same for each instance?...

I would give 4Gb for the OS and the rest 108Gb distribute among 5 instances based on their memory usage.
    Here is the guideline how to monitor memory usage for the SQL Server instance - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/performance-monitor/monitor-memory-usage
    If you are not sure or can't monitor memory usage you can go for: min memory 10Gb per each instance (50Gb total) and max memory 25Gb per each instance (125Gb total max). After a while based on real usage you can fine tune these values. At least I would do something like that.

• Evgeny - Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:46 PM

quackhandle1975 - Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:47 AM

... 112GB RAM and 16 processors. ... There will be a default instance and four named instances each with 1-5 databases on it.

My question is what would I configure for the max memory setting? Would it be the same for each instance?...

I would give 4Gb for the OS and the rest 108Gb distribute among 5 instances based on their memory usage.
    Here is the guideline how to monitor memory usage for the SQL Server instance - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/performance-monitor/monitor-memory-usage
    If you are not sure or can't monitor memory usage you can go for: min memory 10Gb per each instance (50Gb total) and max memory 25Gb per each instance (125Gb total max). After a while based on real usage you can fine tune these values. At least I would do something like that.

Thank you Evgeny for your helpful reply.  I have set min/max memory many times however never with a VM with multiple SQL instances on it.  MS would say standard practice is to have a VM for each instance which normally I would agree with, however these apps are very small and hardly hammer the dbs, and this using SQL 2008 R2 express! 

Cheers

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply