Multiple Instances in one 2012 SQL Cluster

• Hi,

I'm looking for information on installing multiple instances into one SQL 2012 Failover Cluster. Now I know from research this was possible with earlier versions of SQL, but I'm not able to find anything for 2012. Has something changed with the architecture of SQL that no longer allows this or is there another cluster setup I need to look at to accomplish this task (multiple instances in one cluster).

Thanks

Granville

G. Chris Eickhoff 😎
    Senior Database Administrator

• I can't say I know much about clustering but this still appears to be true in 2012:

Instances per computer

Thanks to calvo who originally posted this info.

Edited twice to fix the 2nd link.

• Thank you for the post, and that link does give me some good information. But, I'm still looking for how multiple instances are configured in a single SQL 2012 cluster. The only configuration steps\directions I can find are those for Active\Active, standard failover, or AlwaysOn.

I would like to have 2 nodes in a single failover cluster, but have multiple SQL instances. This was possible in earlier versions of SQL, but I'm not able to find anything on this type of setup for SQL 2012.

G. Chris Eickhoff 😎

• granny (8/7/2012)

Thank you for the post, and that link does give me some good information. But, I'm still looking for how multiple instances are configured in a single SQL 2012 cluster. The only configuration steps\directions I can find are those for Active\Active, standard failover, or AlwaysOn.

I would like to have 2 nodes in a single failover cluster, but have multiple SQL instances. This was possible in earlier versions of SQL, but I'm not able to find anything on this type of setup for SQL 2012.

You can have multiple clustered instances of SQL Server, its the same as SQL Server 2008R2. Each clustered instance of SQL Server requires its own resources for

shared disks

virtual IP address

virtual network name

Do you fully understand clustered set ups and how they are implemented\managed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for the information Perry!

That's what I needed to know. I was a little confused because of the setup differences between server 2003 & 2008, and the SQL install app from 2000 to 2012.

And, Yes I understand SQL clusters. I just haven't found detailed documentation on SQL 2012 clusters.

Thanks a again.

G. Chris Eickhoff 😎

• granny (8/9/2012)

Thanks for the information Perry!

That's what I needed to know.

You're welcome.

granny (8/9/2012)

I was a little confused because of the setup differences between server 2003 & 2008

Whilst they are different they don't really affect the SQL Server install too much

granny (8/9/2012)

the SQL install app from 2000 to 2012.

This is the biggest change and one that gets a lot of people foxed

granny (8/9/2012)

I just haven't found detailed documentation on SQL 2012 clusters.

Thanks a again.

Same as 2008\2008R2.

AlwaysOn and failover cluster instances are a different story though and one i'm covering in an article coming soon 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply