Multiple Instances for Collation

• We are going to be migrating our production dbs from SQL2000 to SQL2005 as well as purchasing a new finance system. The new system database requires a different collation than the default that all of our other dbs use. I was thinking this may be a good reason to put two instances of sql 2005 on the new server...One for the new finance system and another for everything else. I'm not sure what the pros and cons of doing this may be...does anyone have any experience with this or can tell me if I'm approaching this the wrong way?

Thanks!

Thanks!

• SQL 2000/2005 databases of different collations can sit side by side on the same server quite happily. Some of our servers have 3 or 4 different different collations across all databases and whilst this maybe isn't ideal it certainly doesn't cause any problems. As you point out sometimes with vendor apps you don't have a choice and you don't always want brand new servers for each app.

There are some gotchas if you try and run cross database queries on different collations but there are well documented workarounds. Based purely on what you've said I'd certainly put them all on one instance rather than incur the overhead of running 2 instances on the same box.

cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply