multiple instance sql cluster with different windows configuration

• deep_kkumar (4/12/2013)

so that one instance running on node B and node c never fails over to node A.

Simple don't install the instance to NodeA 😉

If you do install the instance to NodeA, just ensure you remove NodeA as a possible owner on the cluster groups virtual network name resource for the instance in question.

deep_kkumar (4/12/2013)

I also like your idea of masking the disks. Which one you suggest ?

Not sure what you mean here.

deep_kkumar (4/12/2013)

Actually my requirement is to setup 4 node cluster with instance 1 to run on node A and node B. Instance 2 runnig on node B and node C. Instance3 running on node D and node B.

You'll need either a disk resource, if all nodes are on the same site, or a fileshare if they're geographically dispersed.

Hmm, the following solution would also be viable as follows;

Instance 1 on NodeA and NodeD

Instance 2 on NodeB and NodeD

Instance 3 on NodeC and NodeD

Make NodeD a higher spec\capacity box than the other nodes so that it can handle all resources failing over at once if they ever needed to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• In my case Node A and Node B are very high capacity servers. On these nodes we are running our most critical instance(instance1). Currently the instance1 is running on Node A. Other two instances are for reporting purposes, so we are planning to run these 2 instances(intance2 and instance3) on node B. If node A fails for some reason, it should failover to Node B. In that case all three instances will be running on Node B. If needed we can manually failover the other two reporting instances running on node B to node C and node D respectively if we have any resource allocation issue.

• I was able to add new node to the existing cluster. But I am lost on how to install sql instance on this node. Do I need to specify the same cluster network name ?? I have a new cluster name which I would like to use for this new instance. How to proceed??

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply