Multiple independent databases in single server for same application

• Hi All,

I have to configure a server to host an application which will have separate database for each individual client....

the problem in this is that if any goes wrong with one database , others will also slow down......

how can i resolve this issue....can I maintain this on separate sql server instances...

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• How many clients are going to be there and how many instances(maximum 50 instances in Enterprise) are you going to maintain obviously an overhead to administration. I don't think its a good idea.

Did you think of clustering? Even I am not so sure.

• 5 clients to start with..Is there any other way to handle this scenario.....

Regards,

• Ahmad Osama (2/5/2009)

5 clients to start with..Is there any other way to handle this scenario.....

I would use 5 seperate databases, rather than instances..

What problems do you expect with one database that would affect the others?

• Ahmad Osama (2/5/2009)

the problem in this is that if any goes wrong with one database , others will also slow down......

How can you be certain that if one DB goes wrong, others will also slow down??

Unless all your 5 applications are inter related to all the databases.

I would go for 5 databases and the separation of applications will be done by your dev team by using different data sources or config files that use specific databases for dedicated app's.

All applications would only slow if your webserver or physical server where SQL instance is running is experiencing problems, which means even if there were 5 instances of SQL server they would slow too.

As a DBA you just propose how much space, memory and CPU might be required for all the 5 app's to run like a charm.

Rest everything you might know..like backing up and high availability of DB's to make sure app is up..

Good Luck!

Thanks!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• I think am unable to explain the scenario.....

There's one single web application for each client....however each client will hav separate database...

If ther's a blocking/deadlock with one of the database....which causes the sql server to consume lots of mem and cpu....then other clients using the application will also experince the performance issue...or not????

Regards,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply