Multiple GetDate()

• Will Multiple GETDATE()s in a single Insert clause have an impact on the performance of a proc?

There is a proc where GETDATE() is being used in 3 different places.

INSERT INTO (col1, col2, col3, col4, col5)

VALUES (4124, GETDATE(), 323, GETDATE(), GETDATE())

Will the above be that much different than

DECLARE @DATE DATETIME = GETDATE()

INSERT INTO (col1, col2, col3, col4, col5)

VALUES (4124, @DATE, 323, @DATE, @DATE)

• See this thread. http://sqlblog.com/blogs/andrew_kelly/archive/2008/02/27/when-getdate-is-not-a-constant.aspx

You may get different results by referencing getdate() multiple times.

• I'll run a single select getdate() populating a local variable then use that local variable during insert. Less overhead and you will ensure value is the same in all affected columns.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi siamak.s16

Have you got the solution..?

Interested to know..how it worked..

• I agree with Paul, it is more consistent and efficient.

When dealing with time, look at the fact that sql does not have a clock in it, it needs to ask the OS for the time. Generally speaking, the OS needs to ask the (hardware) system clock for it.

I do this regardless of what language I am in, be it TSql, VBScript, Javascript, or AspNet.

Director of Transmogrification Services

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply