Multiple Entities in a Single Fact Table?

• I'm restating a previous question: is it OK (best practice?)to unite several entities (orders, quotes, invoices) in the SAME fact table, given they have the same granularity? This way I have all the facts to be analized in a single cube. Or should I build one cube for every each and create a virtual cube later? Comments on performance and flexibility are appreciated.

Thanks.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I would put them in separate fact tables and cubes for flexibility and logical reasons. By using separate fact tables and cubes you will be able to adapt your environment to changes requested by the business users down the road. For instance, delivery information may need to be added to the order fact table but would have no relevance in the quote table. Having them already separated by business definition allows you to do this more effectively.

Also, I am assuming they are sourced from different locations. The ETL will be easier to manage if the business areas can be maintained separately.

Finally, performance will be better for queries that specifically relate to the individual business areas. I was given a fact table that had budget and actuals financial data in the same fact table. Early on in the project the business requirements changed (were clarified?) and we needed to separate them into separate cubes and fact tables to support the environment.

I know this was a lot of verbage, but I hope it helps you make your decision.

Steve Hughes

Magenic Technologies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply