Multile Port IP Addresses

• Is there a way to get a SQL Server to answer more than one port? I have a client that has three servers. They only have one ip address exposed to the firewall. Currently, I have set up a NAT translation that maps our external ip address using port 1433 to one of the servers. I would like to be able to set up the other servers to answer requests on port 1433 for internal and 14331 and 14332 respectively externally. This way I could maintain all three servers remotely.

TIA,

Thom

• Thom,

you could most the port for the other servers (using Server Network Utility). Alternatively, you ought to be able to map 14331 externally and port that back to 1433 to the 2nd server. We've done this with a Linux based firewall. Same as mapping multiple http requests on different ports to the defaults on the servers.

What type of firewall?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• The firewall is a Netopia Firewall/DSL Router.

I do not understand 'most the port'. Using the server network tool, all I seem to be able to do is set up one IP/port address.

When I go into the router, it will only pass the port to an IP address it will not change the port number. At least this is true via NAT. I am a lighweight when it comes to routers an such.

quote:

Thom,

you could most the port for the other servers (using Server Network Utility). Alternatively, you ought to be able to map 14331 externally and port that back to 1433 to the 2nd server. We've done this with a Linux based firewall. Same as mapping multiple http requests on different ports to the defaults on the servers.

What type of firewall?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• sorry for the typo: map the port.

Let me get this straight: You have 3 SQL Servers, correct? You want to be able to administer them all remotely (externally through the firewall), but not change the listening port for internal users, right?

The only way is to map the ports using a NAT/PAT approach. There are bunches of these routers, so if you can post the model number, I can try to dig through the docs.

In some products, you can map not only a port to an IP, but also map a port to a different port.

For my situation (fake numbers), I map

64.78.233.234 (public) port 80 -> 192.168.1.100, port 80 for the web server.

64.78.233.234 (public) port 14331 -> 192.168.1.101, port 1433 for the sql server.

I could also map

64.78.233.234 (public) port 1433 -> 192.168.1.102, port 1433 for a 2nd sql server.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• That is exactly what I'd like to do. I have a Netopia R3100-I v4.8.3.

quote:

sorry for the typo: map the port.

Let me get this straight: You have 3 SQL Servers, correct? You want to be able to administer them all remotely (externally through the firewall), but not change the listening port for internal users, right?

The only way is to map the ports using a NAT/PAT approach. There are bunches of these routers, so if you can post the model number, I can try to dig through the docs.

In some products, you can map not only a port to an IP, but also map a port to a different port.

For my situation (fake numbers), I map

64.78.233.234 (public) port 80 -> 192.168.1.100, port 80 for the web server.

64.78.233.234 (public) port 14331 -> 192.168.1.101, port 1433 for the sql server.

I could also map

64.78.233.234 (public) port 1433 -> 192.168.1.102, port 1433 for a 2nd sql server.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I've looked at the NAT setup screen on my router. The screen offers no place for setting up separate ports:

+--Private Address--Public Address----Port-------------+
    +------------------------------------------------------+
    | 192.0.0.101 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1433 |
    | 192.0.0.101 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx www-http |
    | 192.0.0.101 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx smtp |
    | 192.0.0.101 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx pop3 |
    | 192.0.0.101 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ftp |
    | 192.0.0.2 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 14331 |
    +------------------------------------------------------+
  • BTW, I'm sure this is obvious but, I replaced the real public IP addresses with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

• According to this document:

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/manuals/r3100/isdnref.pdf

you cannot do this. In chapter 11 it states that exported services can only map 1 server per port.

SQL Server only supports one port per instance, so you would have to move the other servers to a new port to access them directly.

A few options. One, enable remote access to the router and move the port mapping as needed (cumbersome and annoying).

2. If this is W2K, enable terminal server (RDP:port 3398) to one of the servers and connect that way. Then you have a console on the local LAN and can connect to the other servers.

3. Install some other remote control product.

4. Go onsite more than you want.

Sorry, but don't have other solutions.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thanks a bunch, you've been a huge help. May I bother you for one more thing?What kind of router you are using? Is it for DSL?

Thanks Again.

Thom

• yes. it is a cisco (not sure of the model), but there is a Linux box behind it that functions as a firewall and provides the port mapping.

Sorry I can't provide more details, I have a colleague who is much more Linux saavy than I and he setup the firewall and port mapping. If you want to go that route, I can get you more information. email me.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply