Multidimensional vs Tabular

• Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo have produced remarkable articles on this subject. I suggest you look into this video: Vertipaq vs OLAP: Change Your Data Modeling Approach. [font="Courier New"](http://www.sqlbits.com/Sessions/Event9/Vertipaq_vs_OLAP_Change_Your_Data_Modeling_Approach)[/font]

• Thanks for the link! I don't see where they mention Big Data, but this is useful nevertheless.

Something to take into account: Tabular (and Power BI) can connect directly to Hive, but we haven't been able to do that with SSAS Multidimensional. That's why we are using Tabular.

• imani_technology (7/14/2016)

Thanks for the link! I don't see where they mention Big Data, but this is useful nevertheless.

Something to take into account: Tabular (and Power BI) can connect directly to Hive, but we haven't been able to do that with SSAS Multidimensional. That's why we are using Tabular.

Yeah, that's why I dimensionalize in the database before the cube. Then the cube becomes optional.

• Yes, we are using Hive to do most of the heavy processing and then Tabular for storage and presentation.

We have a special situation here, but I wonder if Big Data/unstructured data really brings value on most data warehouse/BI situations, considering that the whole point is to have conformed data for the users.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply