Multi-part identifier could not be bound help

• I'm trying to use the following query in SSRS. I was testing it out in Mgmt Studio and I keep getting the multi-part identifier "MISGTA.GTA.dbo.trefOutcomeCodes.OutcomeCode" could not be bound. Here is the query -

select left(sccmdt,6) as 'Date', scoutc, sum(cnt) as 'Count', OutcomeDescription,

sum(case

when scoutc in ('BZ', 'CC', 'DP', 'DS', 'HP', 'LM', 'NA', 'NM', 'PH', 'PP', 'PS', 'RP', 'SK', 'TC', 'UC') then cnt

else 0

end) as 'Attempt',

sum(case

when scoutc in ('CC', 'DP', 'HP', 'PH', 'PP', 'PS', 'RP', 'TC', 'UC') then cnt

else 0

end) as 'Contact',

sum(case

when scoutc in ('CC', 'DP', 'HP', 'PH', 'PP', 'PS', 'RP', 'UC') then cnt

else 0

end) as 'RPC'

from MISProductivity.[GTFC\JOHNSOR].tbl_BEOUT_OutcomeCodesByPool join

MISGTA.GTA.dbo.trefOutcomeCodes

on MISProductivity.[GTFC\JOHNSOR].tbl_BEOUT_OutcomeCodesByPool.SCOUTC = MISGTA.GTA.dbo.trefOutcomeCodes.OutcomeCode

where scoutc in (@Code) and left(sccmdt,6) in (@Mnth)

group by left(sccmdt,6) , scoutc, OutcomeDescription

Is it because I'm joining tables from 2 different db's?

• Sounds like incorrect linked server setup. The 4 part naming in server.database.schema.object and I'm guessing it is looking for a linked server that either is not setup or is not setup correctly. If the 2 databases are on the same server remove the server name.

• I think you are correct about the 4 part name. I tried this

select * from MISGTA.GTA.dbo.trefOutcomeCodes

and it works.

Can I use a temp table in SSRS?

If so then I can create a stored procedure that makes a temp table and then join to that table

• I don't think you need a temp table. You just need to take out any reference to the server name from the query.

• I don't think the problem is the linked server, but the fact that you are not aliasing the tables. You can no longer use the full table reference for column references.

Not only should you be using aliases for your tables, but you should be using that alias for each column so you know what table the values are actually coming from.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeff, that was the issue. I aliased the tables and it works perfectly.

• That is good to know - glad I could help.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (9/22/2009)

I don't think the problem is the linked server, but the fact that you are not aliasing the tables. You can no longer use the full table reference for column references.

Not only should you be using aliases for your tables, but you should be using that alias for each column so you know what table the values are actually coming from.

While I believe you're absolutely correct on aliasing being his issue, were you referring to the inability to use 3 or 4 part name in the SELECT in SQL2008? I don't believe that particular causing his issue here, the query above fails even on SQL2000, albeit with a different message. I get the same error message below in every server version I've tried it on.

Server: Msg 117, Level 15, State 2, Line 17

The number name 'MISGTA.GTA.dbo.trefOutcomeCodes' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The maximum is 3.

I usually see the multi-part identifier message when I've mistyped a table name in one place and not the other, or used an alias wrong, etc. Sorry if I mistook you Jeff. Either way, seems the issue is all fixed.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Seth,

Yes, that was part of what I was thinking - but, the original query did not have anything in the select and was trying to reference columns using the fully qualified name (4-part) which is not allowed.

Basically, you cannot reference a column using 4-part naming because it ends up as:

server.database.schema.object.column - which is more than 4-parts 😀

The error in this case was actually in the ON clause, and the only ways to avoid the issues are to either alias the tables or have unique columns in each table that can be referenced without using any aliases.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply