Mudita: Joy in the success of others

• Just saw your ( I think) older post regarding negotiating starting vacation. I also did that on a new job. Told them I was not willing to go back and begin earning vacation from the start as they offered, had to have a full two weeks to start, and work it up from there. Not only got the two week vacation level, but the day I started they credited me with 80 hours of paid vacation I could use the first year. I wish I had learned far earlier that this stuff can be negotiated. How timid I was in those early days. Also have negotiated to get to share in profit sharing and 401k plans from day 1 instead of the normal wait period to enroll.

The profit-sharing and 401k things are probably the most critical benefits you will have in your life. Even now, if you don't have a million is assets, beside social security an/or a pension, it's going to be tough. And Social Security, as we know it, will probably be gone shortly anyway. So be a good scout, and get prepared.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• I never thought of the possibility that managers might hire contractors to do something that requires a skill that no one in house has, rather than training their staff to do the job. How fascinating! And you're probably correct; I bet that's happened, perhaps more than I realize.

Yep. Jump start and company knowledge and implement a new technology but with a brief to educate the in-house team to take over the solution. That way the in-house team have something to learn from and actively support rather than a disconnected training course or having to learn and implement on the fly.

• Most Excellent!

I am the result of the work I have done and the contributions of those who invested in me. May I be just as willing to invest in others who will go beyond what I have done and enjoy their success. It is the better life to live!

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Lynn Pettis (7/11/2014)

One thing I learned at a previous employer, because I took the time to hone and advance my skills on my own time, I was able to get my employer to pay for outside training for me. Another co-worker didn't like that idea, but then he expected our employer to train him and keep him relevant.

It should always be a two way street otherwise one party or the other is demanding too much without reciprocating enough.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• crussell-931424 (8/6/2014)

By hiring people smarter than me, when they succeed I look good too.

I think that also takes more intestinal fortitude than most managers have at their disposal

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply