MSSQL STRING_AGG() Conversion failed when converting the varchar value to int.

• Short story, I needed to convert a table insert/update trigger to a Service Broker task. That's not the issue but it might help explain the structures being used.

The INSERTED table is used but is passed from the Trigger as XML variable to the SP and executed asynchronously under the Broker Service. Again this is not the issue as I have the Trigger/SP/Broker working for mundane task like logging data to a log table.

Below is a block of code that was successfully executing within a Stored procedure and logging data to a log table.

INSERT INTO [dbo].[MapLocationLog]
    ([lo_location]
    ,[lo_Location_Code]
    )
    SELECT inserted.[lo_location]
    ,inserted.lo_location_Code
    FROM
    (
    SELECT
    X.query('.').value('(row/lo_Location)[1]', 'int') AS lo_location
    ,X.query('.').value('(row/lo_Location_Code)[1]', 'nvarchar(100)') AS lo_location_Code
    FROM @inserted.nodes('inserted/row') AS T(X)
    ) AS inserted

This is a modification that uses STRING_AGG() to create a delimited array of integers. Also logging successfully to a table. Note the change in type in the X.query for "lo_Location" changing from INT to NVARCHAR(10).

INSERT INTO [dbo].[MapLocationLog]
    ([lo_Location_Code])
    (SELECT String_agg(inserted.lo_location, ',')
    FROM
    (SELECT
    X.query('.').value('(row/lo_Location)[1]', 'nvarchar(10)') AS lo_location
    ) AS inserted )

What I'm trying to do is get a comma delimited list of IDs and use these for subsequent query filtering.

This is where things go wrong.

DECLARE @ids NVARCHAR(max) 
    SET @ids = (SELECT STRING_AGG(inserted.lo_location), ',')
    FROM
    (SELECT
    X.query('.').value('(row/lo_Location)[1]', 'nvarchar(10)') AS lo_location
    ) AS inserted )

This is the error

Conversion failed when converting the nvarchar value '1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20' to data type int.

The error line is on this

SET @ids = (SELECT STRING_AGG(inserted.lo_location), ',')

I have been over this so many times and I cannot find where I'm going wrong. I've tried

CASTING

• CAST(inserted.lo_location, NVARCHAR(10))
    • The whole Select statement

The only thing I can centre on is the STRING_AGG is explicitly NVARCHAR/VARCHAR and the Xpath value has implicit typing suggesting "1" is implicitly type as INT. I'm no expert on Xpath but that's my reading. What is confusing is where the code thinks I'm trying to convert to INT as there is no INT declarations.

Grateful for any insight.

• does it work if you try

DECLARE @ids NVARCHAR(max)
    select @ids = string_agg(inserted.[lo_location], ',')
    from (select X.query('.').value('(row/lo_Location)[1]', 'int') as lo_location
    --, X.query('.').value('(row/lo_Location_Code)[1]', 'nvarchar(100)') as lo_location_Code
    from @inserted.nodes('inserted/row') as T (X)
    ) as inserted
  • Thanks Frederico. Your code is good but it appears the error was later in my code. Apologies for not posting the whole code set but it was long and convoluted. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply