msmdsrv.exe causing problems

• I installed analysis services on my home pc the other night. I am running windows 2000. I have Sql Server 2000 desktop engine installed. After installing Analysis Services I couldn't do anything on my pc. I finally got task manager to open and found "msmdsrv.exe" utilizing 99% of my cpu. It to me 20 Minutes to get into services so I could stop the service.

I promptly unistalled Analysis Services and haven't touched it since.

What happened? What's this msmdsrv.exe running?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• It could have been a number of things including going nuts looking for a support file that is missing. Check the Event Viewer and see if anything in Services or Application logs, have seen apps writing so often to the event log that it caused this. And the event log may hold a clue.

• Do you think it could have been my Firewall (McAffee)? I just installed it about a month ago and I have more problems with my pc since doing so. I do remember McAffee warning me that a file was trying to get OUT to the internet while installing analysis serverices and I denied it. I don't recal the file name, but I suspect it was this one. Anyway, I think I'm going to uninstall McAffee and install Analysis Services and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

P.S.

Do you have any recommendations for a good book to get on Analysis Services for a somewhat beginner. I need something that will walk me through it as well as explain things such as ROLAP, OLAP, Fact Tables, etc.

quote:

It could have been a number of things including going nuts looking for a support file that is missing. Check the Event Viewer and see if anything in Services or Application logs, have seen apps writing so often to the event log that it caused this. And the event log may hold a clue.

• Your mention of Mcaffee reminded me of a problem I had with Analysis Services on my home PC about a year ago...traced the error messages down and found it was a conflict with Mcaffee...removed Mcaffee and all has been fine since. A good book for starting with Analysis Services is Microsoft Analysis Services Step by Step by OLAP Train and Reed Jacobsen...

hth,

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply