MSIEXEC won't end after upgrade from SS00

• I am in the process of upgrading 7 servers from SQL Server 2000 SP4 on Windows Server 2003 to SQL Server 2005 SP3. On the third server, after a successful install of SQL and SP3 and a reboot, the program MSIEXEC.exe keeps running, locking up SQL Server, preventing our application from accessing SQL. If I kill the MSIEXEC processes (there were 2 once) the application and databases run fine. But the MSIEXEC will start up again. If I disable the service SQL keeps running fine, but we don't want one server operating differently then the others.

THis is the first serious problem I've had with a Microsoft installer program. Does anyone have a handle on this? Any idea what causes it, what might be different about this server and my others?

Thank you for any assistance.

Alan

• I upgraded a second server, with the same result. Seems like Microsoft has a real bug here, or I'm missing something. 2 of 3 have failed after upgrade. Thanks to our system manager for having all of these on VMware servers - we can revert to the prior configuration in a few minutes.

• It turns out that our vendor was using the MSXML parser in an unsupported manner - see KB815112.

The solution to this is to edit the Registry and delete two "Class" objects in two hives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F6D90F11-9C73-11D3-B32E-00C04F990BB4}

that were created by the SQL Server 2005 install. There are no known side effects to this change.

This fix was developed by Microsoft technical support, who did a great job. They were professional, competent, and fast.

Alan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply