MSDE - Temporary Tables - Closed Recordset

• I understand this question fringes on VB but wanted to check the database side too.

I am currently developing using MSDE and VB but whenever I use (#)temporary tables in a SPROC to return a select query the vb only picks up a closed recordset (i.e no records returned). But when I run the sproc in the query analyzer I get the full results.

Does anybody know if this a known issue with MSDE? Or any things I can look into ....

below is a sproc example in case I am doing anything silly....

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

/****** Object: Stored Procedure dbo.usp_Relatonships_No_Instance Script Date: 16/12/2005 11:06:00 ******/

ALTER PROCEDURE usp_Relatonships_No_Instance

AS

--

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(3000)

CREATE TABLE #TBL_TEMP

(

DOC VARCHAR(200),

SEC VARCHAR(200)

)

INSERT INTO #TBL_TEMP(DOC,SEC)

SELECT PARENT_DOC AS [DOC], PARENT_SEC AS [SEC] FROM TBL_RELATIONSHIPS

UNION

SELECT CHILD_DOC AS [DOC], CHILD_SEC AS [SEC] FROM TBL_RELATIONSHIPS

SELECT * FROM #TBL_TEMP

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

• Hi,

You may want to post a couple of your VB lines that call an SP including your concurrency settings, I mean, CursorType and LockType. Also, are you getting any error messages? Does your application code have access to the database and tempdb? It is sometimes a reason. An identity that your app is running under is different from your login that is used from Query Analyser and may or may not see the records!

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• i would bet it's the SET NOCOUNT ON thing; the adodb recordset can get the  12 records(s) affected as the recordset to return, unless you explicily say set nocount:

ALTER PROCEDURE usp_Relatonships_No_Instance

AS

--

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @SQL NVARCHAR(3000)

...rest of proc

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell - you are a genius.... you can't believe that so many people had no idea... well done

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply