MSDE spontaneously self-destructs

•  

Hello, all.  This is a follow-up to the MSDE installation failure messages I posted last week.  The saga continued and developed a new twist when one of my colleagues here developed the same symptoms on a Windows 2000 machine.

It seems that her MSDE installation spontaneously self-destructed after a Windows update.  Last Monday when she booted up she got an error message from sqlmanager.exe indicating that it could not find ordinal 20 in odbcbcp.dll.  The only thing that had recently changed on that machine was whatever Windows Update did.

When we tried a plain vanilla reinstall it got to the configuration part of the installation, almost at the end, then rolled back.  Finally I used the DisableRollback=1 argument.  When we rebooted the system we got the sqlmanager error again but the installation stayed put.  I downloaded and installed MDAC 2.8 and that took care of the error message.

Now, the $64 question is, has anyone heard of this kind of behavior with MSDE or SQL Server before?  I'm not sure I understand why what had been a perfectly stable installation would suddenly be uninstalled, apparently by the OS.  I could understand a failure to start due to a botched dll, but not this.

Does anyone have any idea?  I'm curious as to how and why this happened and whether it could affect a full installation of SQL Server. 

Regards.

Don
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi,

my colleague has just received the exact same error after loading a service pack on W2K, so if you find out what the problem resolution is, I would really appreciate being told. I will check in here later.

Brett Cotton

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply