MSDE listens on different port every time it starts

• Hello, all.  This one is totally bizarre!  I am working with a user running MSDE.  It was installed from the MSDE Rel A on the MS web site and is running locally under XP SP1 with nothing exotic about the installation.  We have turned off the virus scanner and firewall.  He is unable to get his application to connect, he gets a SQL Server does not exist or access denied message.

We are able to bring up OSQL and we are able to create an ODBC driver to the master database.  For some reason after each reinstallation when I check the Server Network Utility I have to enable the Named Pipes and TCP/IP network protocols.  Each time I make sure that TCP/IP is configured to use port 1433.

When I check the Errorlog it clearly shows MSDE starting up listening on a port OTHER than 1433 and that port changes every time he starts MSDE!    I had him double check with TCPView from Sysinternals and it confirmed that the port changes every time we stop and start the MSDE.

I did find that registry keys under MSSQLServer appeared to be missing (LastConnect under Client\SuperSocketNetLib and Via under MSSQL\SuperSocketNetLib), so we added them based on what is on my machine.  (What the heck, it's not working anyway!)  NOW it logs on with "port" MSSQL-S and, of course, the app can't connect!

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks!

Don

• IMO you should alter key :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\instancename\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp]

"TcpHideFlag"=dword:00000000

"TcpPort"="1433"

"TcpDynamicPorts"=""

or

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp]

"TcpHideFlag"=dword:00000000

"TcpPort"="1433"

"TcpDynamicPorts"=""

I hope this helps

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• We had already tried the second one (he didn't have that key so we added it).  When I check my machine, where I have full SQL Developers Edition running, I don't find the first key.  I will try adding it on his machine and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Don

• don't add these keys if your sqlserver works !

search for a "TcpPort"-key. It has to be there and then you know you'll adjust the right key.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I suppose it depends on how you define "works."  The SQL Server/MSDE is running but is unable to communicate respond to users because it is not looking at port 1433 but the TCP/IP protocol is. 

This may be a case where if I break it bad enough I will get it to a point where I know how to fix it! 

Don

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply