MSDE installation rolls back

• Hello, all.  This is really weird and I hope someone can provide some insight.

I am trying to troubleshoot remotely an installation that is going bad on both an XP workstation and a Win 2000 server.  The client kicks off the setup.exe, it goes thru its process, then she sees a message that the system is attempting to configure the SQL Server.  When the message goes away, so does MSDE.  It has been completely uninstalled.  Here are the last few lines of the Errorlog:

2004-03-24 14:51:44.40 spid3     Recovery complete.

2004-03-24 14:51:44.56 server    SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory, Named Pipes.

2004-03-24 14:51:44.56 server    SQL server listening on 10.125.10.16:1433, 127.0.0.1:1433.

2004-03-24 14:51:44.56 server    SQL Server is ready for client connections

2004-03-24 14:51:44.65 spid3     Warning: override, autoexec procedures skipped.

2004-03-24 14:51:56.82 spid3     SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager.

The next-to-last line indicates a problem but does not say what.  There is no trace in the Event logs and there are no sqlsp.log and sqlstp.log files in the Windows directory.

We have tried turning off all but the essential services and reinstalling but get exactly the same behavior.  I have run the Registry and File Monitors from Sysinternals during the installation but they do not show anything conclusive.

I'm completely out of ideas and none of my research has turned up anything useful.    Has anyone seen this before and actually solved it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Don

• Hey there

I've seen situations where the MSDE setup program fails pretty cryptically unless you specify command line parameters to configure a strong sa password when running the setup program (you can read about that in the MSDE setup docs). Don't know if this is related to your situation though.

Cheers

Doug.

• Check that the server service is running, I had an installation that was continually rolling back, but it completed as soon as I started the server service

• I've had issues recently with MSDE not installing on NT 4 and rolling back with now reasons or messages why...

I found somewhere a quote about the MDAC version having to be 2.7.1 so I installed 2.8.

MSDE then installed after that!!!

This may be totally irrelavent in XP buut you may wish to do all your OS and MDAC updates to make sure.

• Hi, guys.  Those are all great suggestions.  We had already installed MDAC 2.8 (but there's an idea - I need to check the registry entries to make sure they are not botched - gotta love ComCheck!) and we tried the install using the most recent MSDE downloaded from Microsoft with a boatload of parameters, including a password.  I just checked and the Server service is running.  No joy, unless I get something from ComCheck.

Thanks.

Don

• MDAC version is important, but don't forget to check the IE version, also.  MSDE requires IE 5.01sp1 or greater.

Also, add the /L*v option to write verbose logging, and check the msdeinstall.log that is created.

Mark

• Here is the scenario:

MDAC 2.8

MSDE2000SP3

WIN2K SP1

There are no other apps running, services are at a minimum.

The install goes well until the final config and then rolls back. 

It is not machine specific.

• Hi, I had the exact same error message that you got. And fortunately, I solved mine. I removed everything about sql server manually, such as folders, "program files/microsoft sql server", "msde", then reinstall it. Then it worked.

My scenario is that I installed msde on this machine before, then later someone reinstalled the os, but nor formatting the program files folder. So i guess some regrestion info is lost.

Hope it helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply