MSDE Installation Blues

• Hello, all. I am trying to troubleshoot an MSDE installation that is failing. The client is attempting to install to a Compaq Evo running XP. The installation gets most of the way thru then just rolls back with no error messages. The user is logged on as Administrator and says there are no other apps running. He has even reinstalled the OS.

When I turn on verbose logging I find that it chokes when it gets to InstallSQLAgentSecurity. That fails and the systems starts to roll back the installation.

Has anyone run across this before? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks!

DonW

• Is this a fresh installation of MSDE or are you applyint a service pack to an existing insallation? Also, exactly how are you installing (i.e. command line parameters)?

• This is a fresh install, using only the setup.exe that came with MSDE. I didn't try any command line parameters until I turned on verbose logging.

The installation fails on InstallSQLAgentSecurity, at which point I get InstallFinalize Return Code 3 and the system rolls back the installation. No other error messages.

• Found the problem. For some reason the Server service had not been installed on this computer. The mystery is why it installed the other components of MSDE and didn't choke until SQLAgentSecurity, unless that is where it tries to access the engine.

Don

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply