MS SQL Server 2012 Bible, any opinions on this book?

• Hello, the book MS SQL Server 2012 Bible is on O'Reilly's daily deal and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or thought on it. I have been learning how to work SQL queries and databases at work for a project and am trying to decide if this book is worth buying.

• The Bible series are a good overview of the platform. That being said, SQL Server 2016 changed how the platform works dramatically, so I don't know that I'd pay much for this book. It will give you an overview of how to work with SQL Server, but you might be better off with our Stairways here or with SQL in a Nutshell.

• And, on top of what Steve says, 2012 is on the way out in terms of support from Microsoft. You're going to be much better served learning from much more up to date documentation. SQL Server 2022 is going to be released soon (ish, this year anyway). I'd say spending any money on a 10 year old book is probably a waste now.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply