MS SQL SERVER 2005 beta

• This is the only failed part of the installation that I have run across and it is driving me crazy.  Can anyone please give me some advice on this.  ERROR BELOW.

""If SQL Server Setup fails, Setup will roll back the installation but may not remove all .manifest files. The workaround is to rename the files and then rerun Setup. For more information, see How to: Work Around COM+ Check Failure in SQL Server Setup.""

Thanks in advance.

• i assume your using 2005 express beta...??

if so then when you get it working can you tell me how to create a datbase??????

i've installed and all you can do is turn services on and off...WOW!!!

i've installed VB 2005 as well and that will only allow me to access the SQL 2000 installation on the same machine.

MVDBA

• You don't get Enterprise Manager/Query Analyser type tools bundled with it. I believe there is a downloadable lite-administration tool. Scout around on microsoft.com - its there somewhere I'm sure.

Thats where my knowledge of SQ Express ends I'm afraid.

Regards

• There will be a Management Tool for SQL Express 2005 shipping at a later date.

In VB 2005, I believe if you open a new database project you can then create a database and objects.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• I have spent a few nights this week installing SQL Server 2005 Express and C# Express. It took some time to prune my system drive sufficiently on my old spare machine to allow the installation to ahead despite using D_drive for the executables. I read on one of the MS pages that C#, J# etc Express can be used to create and managed database objects, ie databases, tables, triggers, procedures?????

Cheers,

Win

• tried to CREATE a database in vb2005 express beta

you get the message "unable to connect to database - this feature is not supported"

if enterprise manager you can see the database though.... it's just not functional and you have to reboot your server to delete the database.

for some reason or other as well, VB express can't see any instances except the first one.

so my sql2005 express can't be seen unless i remove my 2000

MVDBA

• I have managed to create a simple database in SS2005 express.  I connected from C# esxpress beta1, opened a query and entered create database <dbname>.  I got an error message saying that this graphical interface does not support this kind of query. I clicked continue and the database was created anyway. 

I could see the new database and its object tree in my left pane after refreshing my connection to SS2005 express. System tables, views, etc are hidden from the user.  I selected "add new table" and populated the form to create 2 fields and 1 PK.  I could not find a button to execute this script.  I saved it, connect to the new database from sqlcmd (looks like the successor to isql/osql), cut and pasted the statement and gave it a GO.  I now have a new database and 1 table with 2 fields and 1 PK.  WOW - am I excited? not really!  I don't mind experimenting with new technology, but I have come to expect a bit more sophistication ever since I ditched my boxes with punched cards.

Cheers,

Win

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply