MS SQL ODBC connection from internal network to web hosting

• Hello,

In our company we have a MS SQL database server where all the ordering system information is stored. we also have a php website where dealers get the product info.

I want to set up an application where they can get the real time product inventory info from the internal MS SQL database to the website.

After doing some research it seems odbc is the solution but can anyone guide me on how to set up an ODBC in the remote server with the MS SQL database in the internal network.

Any help is appreciated, please. Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you in advance.

Sid

• from my opinion u should buy a VPN Connection.

• Most hosting companies will not allow an ODBC to be created on their servers that will access outside data. Security reasons.

One common method used to work around this is to have the web site at the host firm open a page on a web server you own, maybe in house. The page opens with inventory on your server, would use ODBC/connections right on your server. Pretty much the host web site button opens a page on another server. Usually transparent to user.

A second option is to have a program on your database server that connects to your SQL database and the host company database, ODBC again but it's on yopur server. A scheduled event could run a query that updates the host table with the server table info. Not real time, but can be close enough.

HTH

Ted

• Hello,

Thanks, Ted and Sumituniverse

I will look into your options and from this it seems first thing is to find out from my hosting company about what their access level are for us.

I will keep you updated on this, by that if anyone has tried and tested method please do post it.

Thank you.

Sid

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply