MS DTC on new SQL 2000 Cluster

• Hello,

Over the weekend, I just moved our production SQL Server 7.0 cluster to new SQL 2000 clustered environment.  Everything looks good except one issue.

I have a stored procedure that opens a transaction, inserts some records into a linked server, and then closes the transaction.  I am getting the following error:

Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Line 3

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

I have followed the steps in Q329332 to configure MS DTC to use Network DTC Access (I did this on the active node).  I have also taken the MS DTC resource offline, and then back online.

In addtion, I have tested the code using the "BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION" syntax, but get the same error.

These steps did not resolve my issue.  Does anyone have any input on what I may be missing? 

Nodes are running W2K03 Server.

2/9/2004 - Just realized I posted this under the YUKON administration thread.  Meant it to be under the SQL Administration thread.  If there is an administrator who can move this to the appropriate forum, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, AJR

• Hi

Did you run comclust ?  I cant remember if sql err's on setup if this hasent been run.. but worth looking into; also, what rights does your sql server instance service user have?

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Thanks for your response Chris.  Actually in SQL 2000 (on w2k03), it is my understanding that you no longer run comclust.  You actually setup DTC during the install.

Good news is after we bounced each node in our production environment after hours, DTC is working fine.

Thanks for your reply!

AJR

• Hi there

Great to here, DTC issues can be a nightmare to resolve.  I only run a win2k cluster so thanks for the note re DTC, is this done on sql setup or during the cluster install itself?

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Chris, DTC is setup during the cluster install.  In addtion to rebooting our nodes (I just found this out) we also set a dependency between DTC and the SQL Service itself.  Therefore the sql cluster resource will not come up unless DTC is running.  After a reboot, life was good.

Thanks again for your response.

AJR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply