Moving to/from SQL Server versions

• Hello All,

I got a database CrossSale from SQL Server 2005 and Attached it to SQL Server 2012. I made lots of changes there and now have to move it back to SQL 2005.

Shell I use the Attach/Detach method?

I was careful with the datatypes so that they are supported on both versions.

My right question is if I'd have any other problems returning from SQL Server 2012 to 2005 by using Attach/Detach?

Kind regards

IgorMi

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• IgorMi (3/24/2012)

My right question is if I'd have any other problems returning from SQL Server 2012 to 2005 by using Attach/Detach?

Yes. It won't work at all.

SQL databases can never be downgraded. Each version has an internal database version that it sets on a database attached to it. A particular version of SQL can only have databases of that version or lower restored or attached to it, and there's no way to restore or attach a higher version database to a lower version instance.

Upgrades are one way, always.

The only way to get a DB from SQL 2012 down to SQL 2005 is to script the database objects, export all the data then recreate the database on SQL 2005 by running the script and importing all the data.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/24/2012)

IgorMi (3/24/2012)

Yes. It won't work at all.

SQL databases can never be downgraded. Each version has an internal database version that it sets on a database attached to it. A particular version of SQL can only have databases of that version or lower restored or attached to it, and there's no way to restore or attach a higher version database to a lower version instance.

Upgrades are one way, always.

The only way to get a DB from SQL 2012 down to SQL 2005 is to script the database objects, export all the data then recreate the database on SQL 2005 by running the script and importing all the data.

Thanks for ensuring me. I thought like that, but I have never tried it and was not sure whether to try it or not, considering my short time to deliver the development.

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply