Moving to 2005 SP3 EE should I install Cumulative Updates's?

• I'm moving to SQL 2005 SP3 from SP2 and I was wondering if there are any big fixes in some CU's that might be worth installing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what SP3 CU's are stable?

I'm x64 EE clustered across 5 nodes.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

• I haven't heard any complaints, but I'm not sure how widely these are installed. I would read through the CUs and see if you are affected by something. Note that they are cumulative, so 12 includes 11, which includes 10, etc.

• Microsoft tends to recommend that you do not install the CUs unless you have a specific issue that is addressed by them. I think the reason for this is two-fold. One, they are bug fixes and not security vulnerabilities, so the impact is low unless you have identified it as an issue in your environment. The second reason is that they state that all CUs get rolled up into the next service pack, so you can usually just wait for that to come out.

That being said, there is currently a vote going on at SSC about whether Microsoft should release SP4 for 2005, since it has been over a year since SP3. There is a large support base wanting it, and I hope that this information gets relayed to Microsoft and they take action on it.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply