Moving the system Clock for Testing purposes

• We need to do some testing against future dates on our SQL Server.

From what I remember you need to Remote onto the SQL Server and log in locally to the machince as the administrator, change the clock and then do the same to revert the clock to the correct date/time when finished.

Whilst the clock is moved Windows Authentication users will not be allowed access as the Server will not be able to sync with the Domain Controller to check the permission and a level 16 error will be displayed. 

Are my assumptions correct?

Regards

Carl

• When you change the system clock, it's within a moment that SQL Server makes the change internally. I'm not sure about users being unable to connect. I know I've done some testing with this and I think I was always connected under Windows auth and things worked, but I don't think I messed with the dates too much.

Since you're just testing the date changes, can you just move to SQL auth for the testing?

And if you try it with Windows Auth, can you post back here if it works?

• Steve,

It's been a while since I last tested moving the clock, but if my memory serves me right you cannot log into SQL Server via Windows Auth once the clock has been moved.

Regards

Carl

• If your server is connected to a AD domain and you change the server clock to be outside the time tolerance of AD, then you risk corrupting AD on your domain controller.  Do some googling around this subject to get more information - KB article(s) exist highlighting this issue.

There is at least 1 company selling time-offsetting software for Windows that can help you (there is more choice on *nix).  These intercept the call for system time from your application and substitute your specified time and date.  However, the system clock remains synchronised with the domain and Windows authentication continues to work.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply