Moving server to a new domain

• We plan to upgrade our Active Directory, Exchange, and a lot of other infrastructure shortly. I can't find any discussion on the internet about issues with changing the domain of a non-clustered SQL 2005 server. Does that mean it will be a cakewalk?

We plan to set up the new domain on a new AD server on the same network, then move the servers into the new domain. No server names will change, no replication or log shipping or other complications are involved. For the duration of the changeover there will be full trust between the domains. As far as I know, the procedure will be:

1 Shut down SQL Server

2 Add the server to the new domain

3 Configure all SQL services to use accounts in the new domain

4 Restart SQL Server.

I imagine there will be a few other things to clean up, such as logins used by SSIS packages and SQL Agent jobs. What else should I worry about?

• Make sure the server and database security settings (including login names) are updated as well. If they contain the domain name, you'll need to update them.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is making sure apps (including the web server) have the right connection settings.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Just in case, prepare for some down-time while you get stuff working. Don't assume the domain change will be over once it's done. Add a few hours of planned down-time so that, if something goes wrong, you have time to fix it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm looking at a similar situation, but my servers have replication running. Are there any ramifications to that? Accounting for changing the sql service account, I don't know if I can just stop merge replication, make the changes for the account and change the domains on my servers, and start it back up again, or if I'll need to break replication, run a new snapshot and pull the subscription again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply