Moving Production to SQL Server 2022

• Our company is spinning up VMs in a new data center and we have the opportunity to move to SQL Server 2022. The move started before the release of 2022 so we had spun up SQL Server 2019. Due to delays in the new environment, we have a chance to rebuild with SQL Server 2022. We’ll be moving from SQL Server versions 2017, 2016, 2014 and 2012 restoring backups to the new servers. I’ve googled around looking for issues / problems with SQL Server 2022 so I thought I’d ask here if anyone knows any reasons why I should not use SQL Server 2022.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

• Hey Tom!

I only know of a few people who've moved to 2022. However, none of them have reported any major issues. As you very well know, testing is your buddy, but no, I'm not aware of anything blocking a move to 2022. In fact, lots of good stuff there, so it's very much worth doing if it's a good time.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Hey Tom!

I only know of a few people who've moved to 2022. However, none of them have reported any major issues. As you very well know, testing is your buddy, but no, I'm not aware of anything blocking a move to 2022. In fact, lots of good stuff there, so it's very much worth doing if it's a good time.

Hi Grant,

That's good to hear. Since we're in a brand new environment and new AD there is going to be a TON of testing going on against all of our applications and web sites. Might as well be against a SQL Server 3 year newer than 2019. Thanks again. Always appreciate your advice!

-Tom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply