Moving in the Post Pandemic World

• I wouldn't call that style of driving aggressive exactly. You have to understand that in all major cities, everyone you see on the highway commutes to and from work in rush hour traffic every single day. It is a major lifestyle issue, one of the top issues of living in a major metropolitan area. Everybody gets that way. I have been gone from Dallas for ten years, and I still find myself driving that way. The drivers in this little town drive me crazy, acting as if they have all the time in the world. Morning rush hour lasts 15 minutes, so really, they do.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

But Atlanta doesn't have the worst traffic in the US. The absolute worst commute is Miami, Florida - it's a maze of highways elevated above swamp land and often times the exits are spaced a half mile or more apart. Not to mention that the drivers there are extremely aggressive. 

I have driven in metropolitan areas all over the US including Manhattan, LA, Houston, and Miami. The worst place I have ever seen is Austin. Edited to add that Seattle is pretty bad, too.

• GeorgeCopeland wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

But Atlanta doesn't have the worst traffic in the US. The absolute worst commute is Miami, Florida - it's a maze of highways elevated above swamp land and often times the exits are spaced a half mile or more apart. Not to mention that the drivers there are extremely aggressive. 

I have driven in metropolitan areas all over the US including Manhattan, LA, Houston, and Miami. The worst place I have ever seen is Austin. Edited to add that Seattle is pretty bad, too.

I've never lived or worked in Seattle but visited for a PASS conference. My biggest driving obstacle was find a parking spot.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I live in Richmond, VA, but have had to drive in Austin, Atlanta, and LA. LA drove me nuts with just the amount of traffic, and that was quite a few years ago.

• I travel all over, and most big cities are bad in places, but also not bad in others. Parts of LA/SoCal make me crazy, but others aren't bad. Busy, but not bad. Austin can be frustrating, as can NYC, Chicago, Seattle, etc. All depends on where/when you're moving around. London is bad at times and places, not so bad at others. Bangalore is the craziest place I've seen, mostly because of the chaos, but few accidents, which stunned me since people don't seem to obey many rules, but they do seem to be more respectful of others and pay a lot of attention.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Amen to that! I think Florida is like the drain pipe of the USA and Miami is the actual drain...all the worst drivers in the WORLD end up down that drain. It's not a matter of aggressive. Miami has it's share of aggressive drivers, but on the whole I found the problem to be drivers who were apathetic about driving. They didn't give it the full attention it deserved, which is dangerous.

Not only driving with two eyes on the cell phone, but just simply not paying attention--not driving slow when they should, not driving fast when they should, not going when the light is green, not stopping when the light is red, not filling up empty spaces in the flow of traffic.

I saw things from Miami drivers I doubt I'll ever see again. I've driven across the US about four times, and have also driven in Germany, Switzerland, France and the UK. Miami drivers are the worst! I'm in Orlando now and there is a big improvement here. Yikes!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  JRuss.

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Rod at work wrote:

Eric M Russell wrote:

I currently live in a suburb north of Atlanta. I'm a 5 - 45 minute drive from hundreds of companies that specialize in IT or have  a substantial internal IT department. There are plenty of good schools, parks, and medium priced quiet neighborhoods on large lots. There is a part of me that would like to live in a more remote area and maybe in an alternate universe that's where I am, but I don't my wife and kids would be happy there. All things considered, I wouldn't move, unless it were to a similar area.

Eric, I've heard that traffic in Atlanta is the worst in the US. How do you manage it?

There are a lot of companies with offices outside the I-285 perimeter. Back when I was driving into the office, my commute was 20 minutes on a busy day.

Oh, OK, thank you. That's much better than I'd been lead to believe.

Rod

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I stand by my assessment of Miami - even if working from home with no commute, it's just too spicy and blingy for my taste. If I were going to live in Florida, then maybe Lakeland or on the west coast of FL like Sarasota.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• If I were going to FL, it would be Pensacola/Destin/etc. area, but unlikely. Gotten too used to the dry weather.

Now I have a hard time thinking of leaving CO, except maybe for NZ.

• By the time I retire, Mars will be an option.

• Me too!  Although there may be too much latency on any internet connection to Mars 🙂

• rob.kaye wrote:

Me too!  Although there may be too much latency on any internet connection to Mars 🙂

Perhaps by the time we start building colonies on Mars, computer engineers will come up with a way to apply quantum entanglement to internet communication.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2013/07/02/113326/physicists-discover-the-secret-of-quantum-remote-control/

• I am in Lawrenceville, probably only spitting distance from you.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply